Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.
Attention:
We will be out of the office for a Broad Institute event from Dec 10th to Dec 11th 2019. We will be back to monitor the GATK forum on Dec 12th 2019. In the meantime we encourage you to help out other community members with their queries.
Thank you for your patience!

PoN creation : --germline_resource option

escaonescaon Limoges, FranceMember

Dear all,

I think it's a bit confusing whether or not one should use --germline_resource option for Mutect2 tumor-only runs prior to PoN creation.

First link :

One option that is not used here is to include a germline resource with --germline-resource. Remember from section 1 this resource must contain AF population allele frequencies in the INFO column. Use of this resource in tumor-only mode, just as in somatic mode, allows upfront filtering of common germline variant alleles. This effectively omits common germline variant alleles from the PoN.

If i use google searching for "CreateSomaticPanelOfNormals" : link :

Step 1. Run Mutect2 in tumor-only mode for each normal sample.
gatk-launch --javaOptions "-Xmx4g" Mutect2 \
-R ref_fasta.fa \
-I normal1.bam \
-tumor normal1_sample_name \
--germline_resource af-only-gnomad.vcf.gz \
-L intervals.list \
-O normal1_for_pon.vcf.gz

If I go there looking for latest doc :

Step 1. Run Mutect2 in tumor-only mode for each normal sample.
gatk Mutect2 \
-R reference.fa \
-I normal1.bam \
-tumor normal1_sample_name \
-O normal1_for_pon.vcf.gz

Question : Why does the second link still exists ? I find it pretty missleading, given that from my understanding, we should not use --germline-resource option for PoN creation.

Tagged:

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@escaon
    Hi,

The first link is to the beta documentation. I think google still goes to that version of the docs. But, the second link is to the GATK4 stable latest tool documents. You should use the second link.

-Sheila

P.S. I will let the team know and see if we can fix the google search.