Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Too Many Missing 0 Calls in GVCF

Hello!
I have 5555 patient samples. I have a VCF file for each patient with 1,2 calls, and a GVCF file for each patient with just the 0 calls. I used CombineVariants to merge just the VCF files. Now, I wrote a python script to loop through the GVCF files, and collect the quality 0 calls. Surprisingly, although I have up to 400 million 0 genotype calls in some of these GVCF files, the final 0,1,2 matrix I created looks surprisingly sparsely populated of 0 calls.

For instance, on ONE sample that I examined 3.7 million SNPs of interest it has a combined major allele frequency of 27% across all of these SNPs. (that means I looked at 3.7 million SNPs in one patient, and the major allele is only represented in a 27% frequency). In short there are surprisingly few 0 calls in my GVCF that match up with the 1,2 SNP calls (filtered PASS) in my VCF files over the 5555 patients.

Is there a way to infer the missing calls from the GVCF files? Or would it make a difference if I merged by GVCF files first?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers