Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Running 260 WES samples through joint discovery and VQSR

Hi,

I am trying to process locally 260 WES gvcf through joint discovery wdl pipeline. I encountered an error at GenotypeGVCFs below which I am not sure how to proceed.

I have used all the default reference libraries and only modified the merge_count in the script to be 8144 so that my server resources won't be maxout fully in the ImportGVCFs step.

https://github.com/gatk-workflows/gatk4-germline-snps-indels/blob/master/joint-discovery-gatk4-local.wdl

23:17:43.992 WARN InbreedingCoeff - Annotation will not be calculated, must provide at least 10 samples
23:17:44.064 WARN InbreedingCoeff - Annotation will not be calculated, must provide at least 10 samples
23:17:46.334 INFO GenotypeGVCFs - Shutting down engine
GENOMICSDB_TIMER,GenomicsDB iterator next() timer,Wall-clock time(s),30.197597194999727,Cpu time(s),28.791204838999864
[June 25, 2018 11:17:46 PM UTC] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.GenotypeGVCFs done. Elapsed time: 4.01 minutes.
Runtime.totalMemory()=5354029056
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: log10LikelihoodsOfAC are bad 2.559797571100845E-21,NaN
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.genotyper.afcalc.AFCalculationResult.(AFCalculationResult.java:72)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.genotyper.afcalc.AlleleFrequencyCalculator.getLog10PNonRef(AlleleFrequencyCalculator.java:143)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.genotyper.GenotypingEngine.calculateGenotypes(GenotypingEngine.java:255)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.genotyper.GenotypingEngine.calculateGenotypes(GenotypingEngine.java:210)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.GenotypeGVCFs.calculateGenotypes(GenotypeGVCFs.java:266)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.GenotypeGVCFs.regenotypeVC(GenotypeGVCFs.java:222)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.GenotypeGVCFs.apply(GenotypeGVCFs.java:201)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.VariantWalkerBase.lambda$traverse$0(VariantWalkerBase.java:109)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(ForEachOps.java:184)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:175)
at java.util.Iterator.forEachRemaining(Iterator.java:116)
at java.util.Spliterators$IteratorSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Spliterators.java:1801)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:151)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:174)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:418)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.VariantWalkerBase.traverse(VariantWalkerBase.java:107)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.doWork(GATKTool.java:980)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:135)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:180)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:199)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:160)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:203)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:289)
Using GATK jar /gatk/build/libs/gatk-package-4.0.5.0-local.jar
Running:
java -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_read_samtools=false -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_samtools=true -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_tribble=false -Dsamjdk.compression_level=2 -Xmx5g -Xms5g -jar /gatk/build/libs/gatk-package-4.0.5.0-local.jar GenotypeGVCFs -R /cromwell-executions/JointGenotyping/3a733624-60a0-4e57-b7f5-7b7e99795738/call-GenotypeGVCFs/shard-25/inputs/data1/bill/pipeline/cromwell/hg38/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta -O output.vcf.gz -D /cromwell-executions/JointGenotyping/3a733624-60a0-4e57-b7f5-7b7e99795738/call-GenotypeGVCFs/shard-25/inputs/data1/bill/pipeline/cromwell/hg38/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.dbsnp138.vcf -G StandardAnnotation --only-output-calls-starting-in-intervals --use-new-qual-calculator -V gendb://genomicsdb -L chrY:10821870-11717714

Tagged:

Issue · Github
by shlee

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Closed By
droazen

Best Answers

Answers

• mwleemwlee Member

Hi Sheila,

Yes, I am using 4.0.5.0 throughtout the analysis. I'll try to run with 4.0.4.0 to see if it worked. I tried with 1-10 sample for the flow with 4.0.5.0 and it worked, but failed with increase in samples. Any idea what this error is about?

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@mwlee
    Hi,

No, I am not sure. But, it seems to have popped up in 4.0.5.0. Can you confirm this works for all your samples in 4.0.4.0? I may need you to submit a bug report. Can you also try with 4.0.5.1 just to check?

Thanks,
    Sheila

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @mwlee,

I see from your command at the end that you may be using the new QUAL model.

java -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_read_samtools=false -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_samtools=true -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_tribble=false -Dsamjdk.compression_level=2 -Xmx5g -Xms5g -jar /gatk/build/libs/gatk-package-4.0.5.0-local.jar GenotypeGVCFs -R /cromwell-executions/JointGenotyping/3a733624-60a0-4e57-b7f5-7b7e99795738/call-GenotypeGVCFs/shard-25/inputs/data1/bill/pipeline/cromwell/hg38/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta -O output.vcf.gz -D /cromwell-executions/JointGenotyping/3a733624-60a0-4e57-b7f5-7b7e99795738/call-GenotypeGVCFs/shard-25/inputs/data1/bill/pipeline/cromwell/hg38/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.dbsnp138.vcf -G StandardAnnotation --only-output-calls-starting-in-intervals \
    --use-new-qual-calculator \
    -V gendb://genomicsdb -L chrY:10821870-11717714

Can you try WITHOUT the new qual (--use-new-qual-calculator)?

• mwleemwlee Member

Sorry for late reply.

I confirm I don't see the issue with 4.0.4.0.

I tried running without --use-new-qual-calculator and there is NO issue anymore. What does it do differently with both cromwell version?

• mwleemwlee Member

Thank you Shlee and Sheila for your help.