Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

MergeBamAlignment Problem

Hi,

I'm trying to merge two bam files that I got going through the Drop-seq pipeline. I've check both inputs using ValidateSamFiles and have no errors from either. But when I run MergeBamAlignment, I keep getting the same error when it's running:

WARNING 2018-06-20 11:33:53     SamAlignmentMerger      Exception merging bam alignment - attempting to sort aligned reads and try again: Inappropriate call if not paired read

And this one after it finishes reading in all the records from the alignment SAM/BAM:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Inappropriate call if not paired read
        at htsjdk.samtools.SAMRecord.requireReadPaired(SAMRecord.java:866)
        at htsjdk.samtools.SAMRecord.getProperPairFlag(SAMRecord.java:874)
        at picard.sam.AbstractAlignmentMerger.setValuesFromAlignment(AbstractAlignmentMerger.java:655)
        at picard.sam.AbstractAlignmentMerger.transferAlignmentInfoToFragment(AbstractAlignmentMerger.java:548)
        at picard.sam.AbstractAlignmentMerger.transferAlignmentInfoToPairedRead(AbstractAlignmentMerger.java:578)
        at picard.sam.AbstractAlignmentMerger.mergeAlignment(AbstractAlignmentMerger.java:390)
        at picard.sam.SamAlignmentMerger.mergeAlignment(SamAlignmentMerger.java:157)
        at picard.sam.MergeBamAlignment.doWork(MergeBamAlignment.java:266)
        at picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:209)
        at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.instanceMain(PicardCommandLine.java:95)
        at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.main(PicardCommandLine.java:105)

I'm not sure what the issue is. I've been successful using the same code on previous Drop-seq files but this newest batch is causing these issues. As far as I can tell, they are the same as older runs that worked. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
pschnepp

Answers

• Here's my code

java -jar $PICARD_JARS/picard.jar MergeBamAlignment UNMAPPED_BAM=unmapped_mc_tagged_polyA_filtered_sorted.bam ALIGNED_BAM=bwa_align_correct_sorted_hg19.bam OUTPUT=bwa_aligned_reads_hg19.merged.bam REFERENCE_SEQUENCE=../../BWAIndex/GSM1629193_hg19_ERCC.fasta INCLUDE_SECONDARY_ALIGNMENTS=false PAIRED_RUN=false

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@pschnepp
    Hi pschnepp,

Have a look at this thread which I hope will help.

-Sheila

• I am using picard to do my sorting. That doesn't seem to be the issue. Any other ideas?

java -jar $PICARD_JARS/picard.jar SortSam INPUT=bwa_aligned_reads_hg19.bam OUTPUT=bwa_align_sorted_hg19.bam SORT_ORDER=queryname
    java -jar $PICARD_JARS/picard.jar SortSam INPUT=unmapped.bam OUTPUT=unmapped_mc_tagged_polyA_filtered_sorted.bam SORT_ORDER=queryname

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Hi @pschnepp,

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Inappropriate call if not paired read
    at htsjdk.samtools.SAMRecord.requireReadPaired(SAMRecord.java:866)

indicates something is going on with the paired and single-ended reads in your file and the tool's expectation towards them.

Can you run samtools flagstat or gatk FlagStat like the researcher in
    https://github.com/broadinstitute/pilon/issues/51?

The error is from code lines here.

Do your paired reads have the appropriate SAM flag values? You can check using https://broadinstitute.github.io/picard/explain-flags.html.

Once you get back to us, I will ask a developer to help look into this issue.

P.S. It may be helpful for us to have a snippet of your data. Please be prepared to provide one.

• I ran the samtools flagstat. For the unaligned bam file:

21063186 + 0 in total (QC-passed reads + QC-failed reads)
    0 + 0 secondary
    0 + 0 supplementary
    0 + 0 duplicates
    0 + 0 mapped (0.00% : N/A)
    0 + 0 paired in sequencing
    0 + 0 read1
    0 + 0 read2
    0 + 0 properly paired (N/A : N/A)
    0 + 0 with itself and mate mapped
    0 + 0 singletons (N/A : N/A)
    0 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr
    0 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr (mapQ>=5)

And the aligned bam file:

21231057 + 0 in total (QC-passed reads + QC-failed reads)
    0 + 0 secondary
    167871 + 0 supplementary
    0 + 0 duplicates
    7314991 + 0 mapped (34.45% : N/A)
    0 + 0 paired in sequencing
    0 + 0 read1
    0 + 0 read2
    0 + 0 properly paired (N/A : N/A)
    0 + 0 with itself and mate mapped
    0 + 0 singletons (N/A : N/A)
    0 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr
    0 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr (mapQ>=5)

I can provide a portion of my sequencing file for your developers to test.

Thanks!

@pschnepp
    Hi pschnepp,

Yes, I think you can go ahead and submit a bug report following instructions here.

Thanks,
    Sheila

• I've uploaded it to the ftp server under the zipped file 'pschnepp_mergebamfile_error'. I've included both a small portion of my bam file as well as reference files I use. I also have my code log and outputs when I run it in that zipped file as well. The .o# file is just a text file of the output log.

Thanks! Hopefully one of the developers can figure this out.

Issue · Github
    by Sheila

Issue Number
    State
    open
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array

@pschnepp
    Hi pschnepp,

Thanks. I will have a look and get back to you.

-Sheila

• I thought I would post this but I tried using a different aligner (STAR instead of bwa) and it seems to be working now. I don't know why it worked but I don't have the error message anymore using the same samples.

@pschnepp
    Hi pschnepp,

Interesting. Are you using RNA-seq samples?

Thanks,
    Sheila

• yes. They are either mouse immune cells or cancer cells sequencing using the drop-seq method. so single cell RNA-seq

@pschnepp
    Hi pschnepp,

I see. Yes, then I guess that explains it. STAR is what we recommend for RNA data.

-Sheila