Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Filtering VCF file to remove ./.

Hello,
I am trying to understand my sample format in my merged vcf file of RNA-seq SNPs produced from the GATK best practices. I have several vcf files that I have merged into one file using combinevariants. Before the files are merged, the format of each sample is mostly 1/1 and 0/1. I understand what these genotypes mean, but after I merge the files, I end up with lots of SNPs that have the genotype "./." while one of the other samples has1/1. I have been reading through other people's work and it seems like maybe "./" indicates that this SNP did not have a high enough quality for this sample? I want to select from my merged vcf file only those variants that pass the quality for all individual files. Just to clarify, if I had three vcf files merged and one variant in these files had the genotype 1/1, 1/0, and 0/0 respectively, I want to keep that variant. However, if there was a variant with the genotypes 1/1, 1/0, and ./., I don't want to keep that variant. Am I understanding what ./. means correctly? And is there an easy way to remove these variants from my merged file? Thank you very much for your help!
Leigh Ann

Answers