On Monday and Tuesday, November 12-13, the communications team will be out of the office for a U.S. federal holiday and a team event. We will be back in action on November 14th and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for using the forum.

FastqToSam "No value found for tagged argument" for ISO 8601 --RUN_DATE parameter

FPBarthelFPBarthel HoustonMember

I am using FastqToSam to convert paired FQ files to uBAM as follows:

gatk --java-options {java_opt} FastqToSam \
            --FASTQ={R1} \
            --FASTQ2={R2} \
            --OUTPUT={output} \
            --READ_GROUP_NAME={RGID} \
            --PLATFORM_UNIT={RGPU} \
            --SAMPLE_NAME={RGSM} \
            --PLATFORM={RGPL} \
            --LIBRARY_NAME={RGLB} \
            --SEQUENCING_CENTER={RGCN} \
            --RUN_DATE={RGDT} \
            --SORT_ORDER=queryname

When I include the --RUN_DATE parameter (in my test I tried with 2011-04-30T01:00:00+0100) and I get the following error message: No value found for tagged argument: RUN_DATE=2011-04-30T01:00:00+0100. I have confirmed the string is a valid ISO 8601 date using the following tool. Running the exact same FastqToSam command without the --RUN_DATE parameter works without issues. Any reason for this error that I am missing?

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• FPBarthelFPBarthel HoustonMember

Any thoughts on this? I believe I am providing the correct input here for this parameter according to its description:

--RUN_DATE,-DT:Iso8601Date    Date the run was produced, to insert into the read group header  Default value: null. 

I have tried supplying the ISO 8601 with and without quotations and both led to the error above.

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@FPBarthel
    Hi,

Which version of GATK4 are you using? Can you try with the latest version of standalone Picard?

Thanks,
    Sheila

Sure thing. Standalone Picard works fine (not sure if this is the latest version, but I had this version at hand).

Using GATK 4.0.2.1

gatk FastqToSam --FASTQ=test_R1.fq --FASTQ2=test_R2.fq --RUN_DATE=2011-04-30T01:00:00+0100 --OUTPUT=test.bam --SM=test

Gives the error No value found for tagged argument: RUN_DATE=2011-04-30T01:00:00+0100

Using Picard 2.18.1-SNAPSHOT

java -jar XXXX/build/libs/picard.jar FastqToSam FASTQ=test_R1.fq FASTQ2=test_R2.fq RUN_DATE=2011-04-30T01:00:00+0100 OUTPUT=test.bam SM=test

Works without issues

Unfortunately, this error still exists in gatk-4.0.5.1. Will this be fixed on next release?

@FPBarthel
    Hi,

Sorry about that. I need to confirm with the team and get back to you.

-Sheila

edited June 26

@FPBarthel
    Hi again,

It seems I was wrong and that the latest Picard release is not "pulled in" every time GATK is released. I am confirming with the team when this will happen next.

-Sheila

EDIT: It should go in tomorrow. https://github.com/broadinstitute/gatk/pull/4949

edited September 6

Just to update on this issue with GATK 4.0.8.1. I found that this bug still exists at least when using AddOrReplaceReadgroups. I did not test FastqToSam here but I assume both are using the same Isodate parsing method?

@FPBarthel
    Hi,

Hmm. Let me ask the team.

-Sheila

@FPBarthel
    Hi again,

It seems the team has opened a new issue for this here.

-Sheila

edited October 17

Just tested this and confirmed that it works when dropping the "=" (using gatk 4.0.10.1). With the = it still doesn't work (perhaps the error message here could be more informative?). Thanks for the great detective work @cnorman, and apologies for the late reply.