Complete this survey about your research needs and be entered to win an Amazon gift card or FireCloud credit.
Read more about it here!
Download the latest Picard release at https://github.com/broadinstitute/picard/releases.
GATK version 4.beta.6 is out. See the GATK4 beta page for download and details.

CommandLine instanceMain method does holds index file open

lordjoelordjoe Member
edited July 2012 in Ask the GATK team

I am writing a Java program to a call a number of CommandLine classes in succession to sort, reorder, index
I call SortSam, CleanSam,AddOrReplaceReadGroups, ReorderSam. Each call has a main which calls System.exit. Instead if calling that main (which would kill my pipeline, I call instanceMain on the relevant class using reflection. I want to pass as output file tmp.bam and expect tmp.bai to be generated as an index. That works.
After I call invokeMain I want to rename the tmp file and the tmp index to the original names. I first rename the original to get it out of the way and also the original index file .
My problem is that the original index file has not been closed and cannot be moved out of the way.
While it is true that calling System.exit (as the CommandLine main does) addresses this issue - this is a VERY BLUNT HAMMER and precludes writing a program which chains command line operations.
How can I close the index file without calling System.exit

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Um, hammers are always blunt, aren't they? Otherwise they're picks ;)

Kidding aside, I'm afraid we don't normally provide support for programming-level issues. I'll see if someone on the engineering team has time to take your question, but I can't guarantee they'll be able to get back to you quickly. You'll probably have better luck figuring it out on your own, for example by looking at what similar programs by other people do to handle this.

Good luck!

• CarneiroCarneiro Charlestown, MAMember

Or maybe ask the community!