Badly formed genome location

I am trying to get depth of coverage using DepthOfCoverage tools of gatk for determining CNV. But I am consistently getting an error of badly formed genome location. Here is the command I am using for calculations:

java -Xmx3072m -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T DepthOfCoverage -nt 10 -I /home/MM_Data/cnv_data/group1.READS.bam.list -L /home/MM_Data/cnv_data/nexterarapidcapture_expandedexome_targetedregions.interval_list -R /home/refs/ucsc.hg19.fasta -dt BY_SAMPLE -dcov 5000 -l INFO --omitDepthOutputAtEachBase --omitLocusTable --minBaseQuality 10 --minMappingQuality 20 --start 1 --stop 5000 --nBins 200 --includeRefNSites --countType COUNT_FRAGMENTS -o /home/MM_Data/cnv_data/group1.DATA

And the error statement is givine below:

##### ERROR MESSAGE: Badly formed genome location: Contig 'chr1 14362 14829' does not match any contig in the GATK sequence dictionary derived from the reference; are you sure you are using the correct reference fasta file?

I am using the same reference ucsc hg19 fasta file which I used in whole pipeline for NGS processing and variant evaluation. I have downloaded the exome interval list from here as I was told to use exome interval for NXTR Rapid Cap Expand EXM kit Cat no. FC-140-1005. Gatk countLoci is working well with my bam files and gives number of loci. I don't know what I missed. Any suggestions........

Thanks.

Answers

• NandaNanda CanadaMember
    edited May 16

Hi Vivek,

Did you create .dict, .sa, .fai, .pac, etc?

Also, check your uscs.hg19.fasta file for chromosome name and your interval list chromosome name. I suspect your interval list might have "1" instead of "chr1".

• @Nanda : Thanks for reply. I have all necessary files (.dict, .sa, .fai,.pac etc.) . I have also checked my reference file. chrM is used in both reference file and interval list. The only difference I found is that the interval list I have dowloaded from Illumina website starts from chr1 and ucsc.hg19.fasta starts from chrM. I think that should not create any problem.

• YimingYiming Member

Hi Vivek,

I do not know the solution to your question however, the location of chr1 1436214829 seems to exceed the total length of chromosome 1 which is 249,250,621 bp of hg19.

• @Yiming : Sorry for this confusion. Actually, it is chr1 14362 14829. It may be unclear (for me too) due to shifting in next line in the question.

• YimingYiming Member

I see, the right format appears after I resize my browser :D My mistake.

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator
    edited May 20

@vivekruhela
    Hi,

The only difference I found is that the interval list I have dowloaded from Illumina website starts from chr1 and ucsc.hg19.fasta starts from chrM. I think that should not create any problem.

I think that actually is the problem. Have a look at this article. You should be able to use ReorderSam to fix this.

-Sheila

EDIT: I realize ReorderSam will not help in this case, as it is your interval list that is not ordered in the same way. I spoke too soon. Can you post the FASTA dict file and the BAM header (I need to see the @SQ lines). Thanks

• @Sheila : Thanks for reply. I have attached the bam header (in .txt format) and fasta dict file (in .txt format because .dict was not acceptable format for file uploading in this forum. Thanks.