The current GATK version is 3.8-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get notifications!

You can opt in to receive email notifications, for example when your questions get answered or when there are new announcements, by following the instructions given here.

Got a problem?

1. Search using the upper-right search box, e.g. using the error message.
2. Try the latest version of tools.
3. Include tool and Java versions.
4. Tell us whether you are following GATK Best Practices.
5. Include relevant details, e.g. platform, DNA- or RNA-Seq, WES (+capture kit) or WGS (PCR-free or PCR+), paired- or single-end, read length, expected average coverage, somatic data, etc.
6. For tool errors, include the error stacktrace as well as the exact command.
7. For format issues, include the result of running ValidateSamFile for BAMs or ValidateVariants for VCFs.
8. For weird results, include an illustrative example, e.g. attach IGV screenshots according to Article#5484.
9. For a seeming variant that is uncalled, include results of following Article#1235.

Did we ask for a bug report?

Then follow instructions in Article#1894.

Formatting tip!

Wrap blocks of code, error messages and BAM/VCF snippets--especially content with hashes (#)--with lines with three backticks ( ``` ) each to make a code block as demonstrated here.

Jump to another community
Download the latest Picard release at https://github.com/broadinstitute/picard/releases.
GATK version 4.beta.3 (i.e. the third beta release) is out. See the GATK4 beta page for download and details.

LeftAlignIndels

SophiaSophia Member
edited July 2012 in Ask the GATK team

Dear all,

I was browsing through some of the less used functions in the GATK documentation, hence the following question:
Does the LeftAlignIndels function do something additional that is not happening with IndelRealigner? In other words, do you recommend to run LeftAlignIndels on top of the indel realignment?

Best regards,
Sophia

Answers

• ebanksebanks Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Dev

No, it's only necessary if you are dealing with tools downstream that don't do haplotype resolution on their own. For example, I wrote this tool so that IGV screenshots would look better by making the indels consistently aligned.

• SophiaSophia Member

I see, good to know, thanks.

• Dear All,
    You mention the 'convention to leftalign indels' in the description of the tool. I have been looking for any 'officially' looking documentation of such a convention and haven't found any. Can anyone by any chance point me towards somewhere where this convention is documented or described?
    Best regards,
    Anne-Mette

• Hi Anne-Mette,

good question, I am in fact wondering about the same thing. The only convention/recommendation I could find, virtually states the entire opposite, i.e. that indels shall be right-aligned (see: http://www.hgvs.org/mutnomen/recs-DNA.html#del).

The whole left/right-alignment thing obviously becomes important, when you start to compare variants of different sources, e.g. variation calls of any custom-pipeline to annotated variants that have originally been called differently.

Thanks in advance,
    Uwe

• ebanksebanks Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Dev

The left-alignment is described in the VCF specification itself.