Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

HaplotypeCaller haploid GVCF format error?

Hi all,

I prepared a clean Bam file following GATK Best Practice and used GATK4 HaplotypeCaller to create a gvcf with ploidy1 option:

gatk-4.0.2.1/gatk HaplotypeCaller --native-pair-hmm-threads 24 -I KU_filtered_sorted_mdup.bam -O HC.KU.raw.snps.indels.g.vcf -R ref.fasta -ploidy 1 --emit-ref-confidence GVCF

When I validated the gvcf, ValidateVariants threw errors at the end:

11:27:55.681 INFO ProgressMeter - Traversal complete. Processed 124689522 total variants in 3.8 minutes. 11:27:55.681 INFO ValidateVariants - Shutting down engine [April 10, 2018 11:27:55 AM JST] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.walkers.variantutils.ValidateVariants done. Elapsed time: 3.82 minutes. Runtime.totalMemory()=4682940416 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal character in path at index 15:HC.KU.raw.snps.indels.g.vcf at java.net.URI.create(URI.java:852) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.FeatureInput.makeIntoAbsolutePath(FeatureInput.java:242) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.FeatureInput.toString(FeatureInput.java:314) at java.util.Formatter$FormatSpecifier.printString(Formatter.java:2886) at java.util.Formatter$FormatSpecifier.print(Formatter.java:2763) at java.util.Formatter.format(Formatter.java:2520) at java.util.Formatter.format(Formatter.java:2455) at java.lang.String.format(String.java:2940) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.FeatureDataSource.close(FeatureDataSource.java:589) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.FeatureManager.lambda$close$9(FeatureManager.java:505) at java.util.LinkedHashMap$LinkedValues.forEach(LinkedHashMap.java:608) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.FeatureManager.close(FeatureManager.java:505) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.GATKTool.onShutdown(GATKTool.java:857) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.VariantWalker.onShutdown(VariantWalker.java:95) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:138) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:180) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:199) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:159) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:202) at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:288) Caused by: java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 15: /media/yoshi/My Book/Aet_v4.0_ChrSeqSplit/HC.KU-2103.raw.snps.indels.g.vcf at java.net.URI$Parser.fail(URI.java:2848) at java.net.URI$Parser.checkChars(URI.java:3021) at java.net.URI$Parser.parseHierarchical(URI.java:3105) at java.net.URI$Parser.parse(URI.java:3063) at java.net.URI.<init>(URI.java:588) at java.net.URI.create(URI.java:850) ... 19 more

When I ran GenotypeGVCFs using the gvcf, it ran to completion, but threw the same "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException" errors at the end.

My java is Java runtime: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM v1.8.0_162-8u162-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2-b12.

Could you please help me with this problem?
Many thanks.

Best Answer

Answers