Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Is it possible to pass multiple bams to GATK4 HaplotypeCaller?

srw6vsrw6v United StatesMember

Because of a variety of preprocessing steps that I have to perform on my input bam I have split it by chromosome to make this process faster. Joining these bams together before calling SNVs with HaplotypeCaller is a very time consuming step so it would be most convenient to just pass all the bams at once without the join. Is it possible to pass multiple bams to HaplotypeCaller? I have tried a variety of ways such as

gatk-launch HaplotypeCaller -R hg19-1.2.0/fasta/genome.fa -I example.20.bam -I example.21.bam -O out.vcf

and the Mutect2 way

gatk-launch HaplotypeCaller -R hg19-1.2.0/fasta/genome.fa -I:20 example.20.bam -I:21 example.21.bam -O out.vcf

Is this even possible?

Thanks very much,

Stephen

Best Answer

• srw6vsrw6v United States
    Accepted Answer

SOLVED

Sorry for the question. I figured it out. I did not have the sample information in the bam header.

gatk-launch HaplotypeCaller -R hg19-1.2.0/fasta/genome.fa -I example.20.bam -I example.21.bam -O out.vcf

works

Answers

• srw6vsrw6v United StatesMember
    Accepted Answer

SOLVED

Sorry for the question. I figured it out. I did not have the sample information in the bam header.

works

• heskettheskett Portland, Oregon. USAMember

can you elaborate on this?

It seems like the behavior is different from GATK3 haplotypecaller

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@heskett
    Hi,

You can pass in multiple BAM files when running in normal mode. However, when running in GVCF mode, you cannot pass in multiple BAM files.

-Sheila