Is it possible to pass multiple bams to GATK4 HaplotypeCaller?

srw6vsrw6v United StatesMember

Because of a variety of preprocessing steps that I have to perform on my input bam I have split it by chromosome to make this process faster. Joining these bams together before calling SNVs with HaplotypeCaller is a very time consuming step so it would be most convenient to just pass all the bams at once without the join. Is it possible to pass multiple bams to HaplotypeCaller? I have tried a variety of ways such as

gatk-launch HaplotypeCaller -R hg19-1.2.0/fasta/genome.fa -I example.20.bam -I example.21.bam -O out.vcf

and the Mutect2 way

gatk-launch HaplotypeCaller -R hg19-1.2.0/fasta/genome.fa -I:20 example.20.bam -I:21 example.21.bam -O out.vcf

Is this even possible?

Thanks very much,

Stephen

Best Answer

• srw6vsrw6v United States
    Accepted Answer

SOLVED

Sorry for the question. I figured it out. I did not have the sample information in the bam header.

gatk-launch HaplotypeCaller -R hg19-1.2.0/fasta/genome.fa -I example.20.bam -I example.21.bam -O out.vcf

works

Answers

• srw6vsrw6v United StatesMember
    Accepted Answer

SOLVED

Sorry for the question. I figured it out. I did not have the sample information in the bam header.

works

• heskettheskett Portland, Oregon. USAMember

can you elaborate on this?

It seems like the behavior is different from GATK3 haplotypecaller

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@heskett
    Hi,

You can pass in multiple BAM files when running in normal mode. However, when running in GVCF mode, you cannot pass in multiple BAM files.

-Sheila