Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Does MuTect2 in gatk-4.0.3.0 support Nvidia Tesla 24 GBytes K80 Accelerator?

jingmengjingmeng AustraliaMember

Hi, I am using MuTect2 in gatk-4.0.3.0. Since the speed is slow, I am planning to use Nvidia Tesla 24 GBytes K80 Accelerator. Does MuTect2 support such GPU? If so, how can I set the parameter to let MuTect run on such GPU? Thank you!

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Closed By
droazen

Answers

• jingmengjingmeng AustraliaMember

If it does not support GPU, does it support multiple cores? Specifically, the speed of running on a 32 cores computer is the same as running on a computer of 8 cores? If it supports multiple cores, how to set the parameter to let MuTect use multiple cores? Thanks for your time!

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin
    edited April 2018

@jingmeng
    Hi,

I need to check with the developer and get back to you.

-Sheila

EDIT: I heard back, and "No, neither HaplotypeCaller nor Mutect2 natively support GPU acceleration."

Post edited by Sheila on
  • jingmengjingmeng AustraliaMember

Thanks. Does MuTect2 support multiple cores? Specifically, the speed of running on a 32 cores computer is the same as running on a computer of 8 cores? If it supports multiple cores, how to set the parameter to let MuTect use multiple cores? Thanks for your time!

@jingmeng
    Hi,

I am checking with the developer and will get back to you.

-Sheila

@jingmeng
    Hi again,

Sorry for the delay. From the developer:

"Mutect2 does not currently support multiple cores, with the exception of the AVX_LOGLESS_CACHING_OMP PairHMM, which accepts a --native-pair-hmm-threads argument that currently defaults to 4 threads. The GATK uses this PairHMM by default whenever the OpenMP library is installed and the CPU supports the AVX instruction set."

-Sheila

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to add one note @jingmeng. GPU compatibility in GATK4 is limited to our CNN workflow, which is currently experimental. You can explore the resources related to the workflow at https://github.com/broadinstitute/dsde-deep-learning.