Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

BCF file compatability with Picard tools

nemeshnemesh BroadMember

I was wondering if Picard tools are compatible with both compressed and uncompressed BCF files?

When I generate an uncompressed BCF file using Picard's tool, everything works OK:
java -jar /path/to/picard.jar VcfFormatConverter I=input.vcf.gz O=output.bcf

Here's a random program to test with:
java -jar /path/to/picard/picard.jar SortVcf I=output.bcf O=test.bcf

When I generate a BCF file using bcftools that is compressed, I'm unable to read the file:
bcftools view -Ob -o output.bcf input.vcf.gz

java -jar /path/to/picard/picard.jar SortVcf I=output.bcf O=test.bcf

Exception in thread "main" htsjdk.tribble.TribbleException$MalformedFeatureFile: Unable to parse header with error: Input stream does not contain a BCF encoded file; BCF magic header info not found, at record 0 with position 0:, for input source: /downloads/Snap48p5/bcftools_try/141_HESC_Genome.biallelic.ref_norm.1KG_AF.bcf
at htsjdk.tribble.TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.readHeader(TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.java:253)
at htsjdk.tribble.TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.(TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.java:101)
at htsjdk.tribble.TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.(TribbleIndexedFeatureReader.java:126)
at htsjdk.tribble.AbstractFeatureReader.getFeatureReader(AbstractFeatureReader.java:110)
at htsjdk.tribble.AbstractFeatureReader.getFeatureReader(AbstractFeatureReader.java:74)
at htsjdk.variant.vcf.VCFFileReader.(VCFFileReader.java:58)

Are only uncompressed BCF files supported by HTSJDK?

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
open
Last Updated
Assignee
Array

Answers