SplitNCigarReads unrecognized options

Hi,

I've been following the "Calling Variants in RNASeq" workflow, using the most recent version of gatk (v4.0.2.1).

When I run the SplitNCigarReads command I get the following error:

$gatk SplitNCigarReads -R /data/fasta/ensembl-Mus_musculus.fa -I /clscratch/kerrgr1/rnaseqVar/AB1-A1-medium/2Pass/Aligned.dedupped.bam -O /clscratch/kerrgr1/AAB312_rnaseqVar/AB1-A1-medium/2Pass/Aligned.split.bam -RF ReassignOneMappingQuality -RMQF 255 -RMQT 60 -U ALLOW_N_CIGAR_READS
Using GATK jar /home/kerrgr1/gatk-4.0.2.1/gatk-package-4.0.2.1-local.jar
Running:
java -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_read_samtools=false -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_samtools=true -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_tribble=false -Dsamjdk.compression_level=1 -jar /home/kerrgr1/gatk-4.0.2.1/gatk-package-4.0.2.1-local.jar SplitNCigarReads -R /db/nibrgenome/NG00012.0/fasta/ensembl-Mus_musculus.fa -I /clscratch/kerrgr1/AAB312_rnaseqVar/AB1-A1-medium/2Pass/Aligned.dedupped.bam -O /clscratch/kerrgr1/AAB312_rnaseqVar/AB1-A1-medium/2Pass/Aligned.split.bam -RF ReassignOneMappingQuality -RMQF 255 -RMQT 60 -U ALLOW_N_CIGAR_READS
USAGE: SplitNCigarReads [arguments]

A USER ERROR has occurred: U is not a recognized option

I also noticed in the usage options printed to screen that "ReassignOneMappingQuality" isn't an option for parameter "RF"

--read-filter,-RF:String Read filters to be applied before analysis This argument may be specified 0 or more
times. Default value: null. Possible Values: {AlignmentAgreesWithHeaderReadFilter,
AllowAllReadsReadFilter, AmbiguousBaseReadFilter, CigarContainsNoNOperator,
FirstOfPairReadFilter, FragmentLengthReadFilter, GoodCigarReadFilter,
HasReadGroupReadFilter, LibraryReadFilter, MappedReadFilter,
MappingQualityAvailableReadFilter, MappingQualityNotZeroReadFilter,
MappingQualityReadFilter, MatchingBasesAndQualsReadFilter, MateDifferentStrandReadFilter,
MateOnSameContigOrNoMappedMateReadFilter, MetricsReadFilter,
NonZeroFragmentLengthReadFilter, NonZeroReferenceLengthAlignmentReadFilter,
NotDuplicateReadFilter, NotOpticalDuplicateReadFilter, NotSecondaryAlignmentReadFilter,
NotSupplementaryAlignmentReadFilter, OverclippedReadFilter, PairedReadFilter,
PassesVendorQualityCheckReadFilter, PlatformReadFilter, PlatformUnitReadFilter,
PrimaryLineReadFilter, ProperlyPairedReadFilter, ReadGroupBlackListReadFilter,
ReadGroupReadFilter, ReadLengthEqualsCigarLengthReadFilter, ReadLengthReadFilter,
ReadNameReadFilter, ReadStrandFilter, SampleReadFilter, SecondOfPairReadFilter,
SeqIsStoredReadFilter, ValidAlignmentEndReadFilter, ValidAlignmentStartReadFilter,
WellformedReadFilter}

I also noticed that the online documentation specifies "-o" for the output file, whereas in practice it requires "-O".

Am I doing something blatantly wrong that I can't see?

Thanks for any help,
gkerrs

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@gkerrs
    Hi gkerrs,

I think those first two options are not necessary in GATK4. Let me know if you get an error when running without them. You may also find the WDLs here helpful.

-Sheila

P.S. Thanks for pointing out the doc error. I will fix it now.

• FPBarthelFPBarthel HoustonMember

Hi @Sheila ! I am also trying to follow this workflow. Do I understand correctly that (to prepare input RNAseq BAM file for variant calling) in GATK 4 one no longer needs to supply the parameters "-RF ReassignOneMappingQuality -RMQF 255 -RMQT 60 -U ALLOW_N_CIGAR_READS" to gatk SplitNCigarReads? Thus, I only need to supply reference (-R), input BAM (-I) and output BAM (-O)?

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@FPBarthel
    Hi,

It does seem that way from the documentation :smile: Please let us know if you have issues running with just the basic inputs.

Thanks,
    Sheila

• FPBarthelFPBarthel HoustonMember

Thank you @Sheila ! It does seem to work fine and thanks for confirming. I wanted to be sure we are not missing something here.