Holiday Notice:
The Frontline Support team will be slow to respond December 17-18 due to an institute-wide retreat and offline December 22- January 1, while the institute is closed. Thank you for your patience during these next few weeks. Happy Holidays!

Genotyping known variants with GenotypeGVCFs

gmagoongmagoon Member
edited February 27 in Ask the GATK team

Hi Geraldine, Sheila, and others,
Now that it seems that a fix for the "GGA" feature in HaplotypeCaller may be forthcoming in some future GATK release has been made in a recent GATK 4 release, I was wondering about the prospects for a GENOTYPE_GIVEN_ALLELES mode for GenotypeGVCFs. There understandably seems to be a significant amount of interest in this sort of capability, e.g. here, and here.

To be more concrete, I'm thinking about something that would function like the following example:
Given the following as known variants of interest, specified in an -alleles option:

#CHROM  POS ID  REF ALT QUAL    FILTER  INFO
20  10000694    .   G   A   .   .   .
20  10001661    .   T   C   .   .   .

...GenotypeGVCFs would take an input gVCF, like the simplified single-sample example below:

#CHROM  POS ID  REF ALT QUAL    FILTER  INFO    FORMAT  Sample1
20  10000694    .   G   T,<NON_REF> .   .   .   GT:DP:GQ    0/1:29:99
20  10000695    .   G   <NON_REF>   .   .   END=10001999    GT:DP:GQ    0/0:0:0

...and produce something like the following as output:

#CHROM  POS ID  REF ALT QUAL    FILTER  INFO    FORMAT  Sample1
20  10000694    .   G   A,<NON_REF> .   .   .   GT  0/2
20  10001661    .   T   C,<NON_REF> .   .   .   GT  ./.

With GATK 3, I believe there was a partial solution involving use of -allSites -L sites.vcf, but from the current GenotypeGVCFs source code, it looks like the -allSites option is now ignored and unsupported (and is also omitted from the GATK 4 docs).

Should I be writing my own tools to genotype known variants from the gVCFs, or is this something where we might expect an official GenotypeGVCFs feature in the not-too-distant future? Or maybe there is some straightforward way of doing this currently (aside from using UnifiedGenotyper or HaplotypeCaller with BAM file input and GENOTYPE_GIVEN_ALLELES) that I have overlooked?

Thanks very much in advance,
Greg

Post edited by gmagoon on

Best Answer

Answers

• gmagoongmagoon Member

Thanks very much, Sheila.