Attention:
The frontline support team will be unavailable to answer questions on April 15th and 17th 2019. We will be back soon after. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience!

GATK4 Variant Recalibrator not recognizing format of --truth-sensitivity-tranche argument

breardonbreardon Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie
edited February 2018 in Ask the GATK team

The following error is observed when running VariantRecalibrator with the --truth-sensitivity-tranche argument.

A USER ERROR has occurred: Argument truth-sensitivity-tranche has a bad value: [100.0,. Problem constructing Double from the string '[100.0,'.

My run statement is

./gatk VariantRecalibrator --reference $reference --variant $VCF --resource:hapmap,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=15.0 /path/hapmap_3.3.b37.vcf --resource:omni,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=12.0 /path/1000G_omni2.5.b37.vcf --resource:1000G,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=10.0 /path/1000G_phase1.snps.high_confidence.b37.vcf --resource:dbsnp,known=true,training=false,truth=false,prior=2.0 /path/dbsnp_138.b37.vcf --use-annotation QD --use-annotation MQRankSum --use-annotation ReadPosRankSum --use-annotation FS --use-annotation MQ --use-annotation InbreedingCoeff --mode SNP --truth-sensitivity-tranche [100.0, 99.9, 99.0, 90.0] --output ${prefix}.SNP.recal --tranches-file ${prefix}.SNP.tranches --rscript-file ${prefix}.SNP.R

This error has been reproducible with both the local downloaded executable of GATK4 and the docker image, broadinstitute/gatk:latest. The argument was also passed exactly as listed on the formal documentation page for Variant Recalibrator.

--truth-sensitivity-tranche, -tranche [100.0, 99.9, 99.0, 90.0]
The levels of truth sensitivity at which to slice the data. (in percent, that is 1.0 for 1 percent).

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Closed By
chandrans

Best Answer

• SheilaSheila Broad Institute admin
    Accepted Answer

@breardon
    Hi,

I have a feeling the documentation is misleading. Can you try --truth-sensitivity-tranche 100.0 --truth-sensitivity-tranche 99.9 --truth-sensitivity-tranche 99.0 --truth-sensitivity-tranche 90.0? Let us know if that works, and I can see if we can make the documentation more clear.

-Sheila

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin
    Accepted Answer

@breardon
    Hi,

I have a feeling the documentation is misleading. Can you try --truth-sensitivity-tranche 100.0 --truth-sensitivity-tranche 99.9 --truth-sensitivity-tranche 99.0 --truth-sensitivity-tranche 90.0? Let us know if that works, and I can see if we can make the documentation more clear.

-Sheila

• breardonbreardon Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie

Ah, that was silly of me. That worked! Thank you Sheila!

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@breardon
    Hi,

I remember another user being confused about that a while back and we never changed the docs since the team thought the docs were clear enough. However, I will bring this up again and see if we can add an example in the command.

-Sheila