[GATK 4.0.1.2] No non-zero singular values were found in creating a panel of normals for somatic CNV

Hello,

I got an exception below in creating a PoN for somatic CNV on about 80 WGS samples. It consists of ~30 males and ~50 females. I was able to create PoNs successfully for each sex separately, but not all together. Sex chromosomes were excluded for the PoN creation for both sexes.

The exception message suggests to set minimum-interval-median-percentile to a higher value. I wonder how higher it should be or what it means. Would you also help me understand the argument, --number-of-eigensamples?

Thanks!

12:14:03.269 WARN  HDF5SVDReadCountPanelOfNormals - Exception encountered during creation of panel of normals (org.broadinstitute.hellbender.exceptions.UserException: No non-zero singular values were found.  It may be necessary to use stricter parameters for filtering.  For example, use a larger value of minimum-interval-median-percentile.).  Attempting to delete partial output in cromwell-executions/CNVSomaticPanelWorkflow/0c26e635-0641-4791-9769-adaa5cee0e87/call-CreateReadCountPanelOfNormals/execution/gatk_somatic_wgs.pon.hdf5...
18/02/18 12:14:03 INFO SparkUI: Stopped Spark web UI at http://192.168.1.12:4040
18/02/18 12:14:03 INFO MapOutputTrackerMasterEndpoint: MapOutputTrackerMasterEndpoint stopped!
18/02/18 12:14:03 INFO MemoryStore: MemoryStore cleared
18/02/18 12:14:03 INFO BlockManager: BlockManager stopped
18/02/18 12:14:03 INFO BlockManagerMaster: BlockManagerMaster stopped
18/02/18 12:14:03 INFO OutputCommitCoordinator$OutputCommitCoordinatorEndpoint: OutputCommitCoordinator stopped!
18/02/18 12:14:03 INFO SparkContext: Successfully stopped SparkContext
12:14:03.373 INFO  CreateReadCountPanelOfNormals - Shutting down engine
[February 18, 2018 12:14:03 PM CST] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.copynumber.CreateReadCountPanelOfNormals done. Elapsed time: 3.64 minutes.
Runtime.totalMemory()=16482041856
org.broadinstitute.hellbender.exceptions.GATKException: Could not create panel of normals.  It may be necessary to use stricter parameters for filtering.  For example, use a larger value of minimum-interval-median-percentile.
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.copynumber.denoising.HDF5SVDReadCountPanelOfNormals.create(HDF5SVDReadCountPanelOfNormals.java:341)
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.copynumber.CreateReadCountPanelOfNormals.runPipeline(CreateReadCountPanelOfNormals.java:269)
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.spark.SparkCommandLineProgram.doWork(SparkCommandLineProgram.java:30)
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:136)
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:179)
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:198)
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:153)
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:195)
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:277)
Caused by: org.broadinstitute.hellbender.exceptions.UserException: No non-zero singular values were found.  It may be necessary to use stricter parameters for filtering.  For example, use a larger value of minimum-interval-median-percentile.
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.copynumber.denoising.HDF5SVDReadCountPanelOfNormals.create(HDF5SVDReadCountPanelOfNormals.java:317)
        ... 8 more

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Closed By
sooheelee

Best Answer

Answers

• Just an update, the exception doesn't occur if number-of-eigensamples is set to 40 (default is 20).
    It would be great to know how a good value for number-of-eigensamples could be chosen. (It may be a wrong resolution to the original issue though.)

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@dayzcool
    Hi,

I will ask someone from the team to get back to you.

-Sheila

• Thanks a lot for the guidance, @slee! I'll follow your advice.
    As for minimum-interval-median-percentile, forgive my ignorance, but I couldn't clearly understand the description. How is fractional coverage computed?

Genomic intervals with a median (across samples) of fractional coverage (optionally corrected for GC bias) below this percentile are filtered out. 

• sleeslee Member, Broadie, Dev

Fractional coverage is simply the coverage in each bin normalized by the sum of coverage in all bins. (This was referred to as "proportional coverage" in older documentation.)

• @slee, I'd like to ask your help again. Although all your suggestions including HDFView were super helpful, I couldn't figure out what problems my normals have unfortunately.
    minimum-interval-median-percentile didn't help up to 50 (default 10). And, I could not recognize a significant problem that differentiates normals in the failed run compared to normals in a successful run, though PlotDenoisedCopyRatios was very helpful in finding normals with CNV in the panel (e.g. Down syndrome).

Also, I mislead you on the PoN creation with the number-of-eigensamples of 40. I realized that it was not successful, either. I thought it succeeded because the return code of the process is 0, but the PoN doesn't look like a valid hdf5 file.
    Is there anything else I can do to troubleshot?

Below are couple issues I had that might be helpful for you:

1) PoN creation seems successful since the process returns 0 and there is no error in stderr. However, the output is not a valid hdf5 file.

$ cd cromwell-executions/CNVSomaticPanelWorkflow/ef1afa07-0101-4193-b38b-4186cabcf433/call-CreateReadCountPanelOfNormals/execution
    $ cat rc
    $ h5ls somatic_wgs.pon.hdf5
    somatic_wgs.pon.hdf5: unable to open file

2) PlotDenoisedCopyRatios fails sometimes

[February 26, 2018 12:16:18 AM CST] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.copynumber.plotting.PlotDenoisedCopyRatios done. Elapsed time: 0.43 minutes.
    Runtime.totalMemory()=3002597376
    org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.R.RScriptExecutorException:
    Rscript exited with 1
    Command Line: Rscript -e tempLibDir = '/tmp/byoo/Rlib.8871056457154129850';source('/tmp/byoo/CNVPlottingLibrary.5809331268415665681.R');source('/tmp/byoo/PlotDenoisedCopyRatios.838434931369906080.R'); --args --sample_name=GN-16-000000-01-AC --standardized_copy_ratios_file=GN-16-000000-01-AC.standardizedCR.tsv --denoised_copy_ratios_file=GN-16-000000-01-AC.denoisedCR.tsv --contig_names=1CONTIG_DELIMITER2CONTIG_DELIMITER3CONTIG_DELIMITER4CONTIG_DELIMITER5CONTIG_DELIMITER6CONTIG_DELIMITER7CONTIG_DELIMITER8CONTIG_DELIMITER9CONTIG_DELIMITER10CONTIG_DELIMITER11CONTIG_DELIMITER12CONTIG_DELIMITER13CONTIG_DELIMITER14CONTIG_DELIMITER15CONTIG_DELIMITER16CONTIG_DELIMITER17CONTIG_DELIMITER18CONTIG_DELIMITER19CONTIG_DELIMITER20CONTIG_DELIMITER21CONTIG_DELIMITER22CONTIG_DELIMITERXCONTIG_DELIMITERY --contig_lengths=249250621CONTIG_DELIMITER243199373CONTIG_DELIMITER198022430CONTIG_DELIMITER191154276CONTIG_DELIMITER180915260CONTIG_DELIMITER171115067CONTIG_DELIMITER159138663CONTIG_DELIMITER146364022CONTIG_DELIMITER141213431CONTIG_DELIMITER135534747CONTIG_DELIMITER135006516CONTIG_DELIMITER133851895CONTIG_DELIMITER115169878CONTIG_DELIMITER107349540CONTIG_DELIMITER102531392CONTIG_DELIMITER90354753CONTIG_DELIMITER81195210CONTIG_DELIMITER78077248CONTIG_DELIMITER59128983CONTIG_DELIMITER63025520CONTIG_DELIMITER48129895CONTIG_DELIMITER51304566CONTIG_DELIMITER155270560CONTIG_DELIMITER59373566 --output_dir=output/ --output_prefix=GN-16-000000-01-AC
    Stdout:
    Stderr: Error in plot.window(...) : need finite 'ylim' values
    Calls: source ... SetUpPlot -> plot -> plot.default -> localWindow -> plot.window

at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.R.RScriptExecutor.getScriptException(RScriptExecutor.java:80)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.R.RScriptExecutor.getScriptException(RScriptExecutor.java:19)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.runtime.ScriptExecutor.executeCuratedArgs(ScriptExecutor.java:126)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.R.RScriptExecutor.exec(RScriptExecutor.java:131)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.copynumber.plotting.PlotDenoisedCopyRatios.writeDenoisingPlots(PlotDenoisedCopyRatios.java:205)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.copynumber.plotting.PlotDenoisedCopyRatios.doWork(PlotDenoisedCopyRatios.java:157)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:136)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:179)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:198)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(Main.java:153)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(Main.java:195)
            at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:277)
    Using GATK jar GATK/gatk-4.0.1.2/gatk-package-4.0.1.2-local.jar

@dayzcool Hmm, it's disturbing that you ended up with an invalid PoN and a 0 exit code---the tools should fail and delete the PoN being made if an error is encountered. If you can put together a minimal working example that demonstrates the bug and are willing to share your data, that would be very helpful.

Just to step back a bit: you have successfully made a PoN with some subset of your normals, correct? Have you ever been able to include a sample that fails at a later step (e.g., PlotDenoisedCopyRatios) in a successfully built PoN?

I suspect that some fraction of your samples may be poorly covered, which is leading to errors and difficulties in the SVD convergence. Can you inspect the counts files produced by CollectFragmentCounts to see whether this is the case?

• dayzcooldayzcool Member
    edited March 2

@slee, I was able to identify a sample that causes the PoN creation failure thanks to your help. :smile:

As for the issue that GATK generates an invalid PoN and a 0 exit code, it seemingly could happen if netlib-java is configured not to use a native library.
    Most machines I use (Centos 7, docker unavailable) don't have BLAS installed. Thus, I initially ran GATK with the JVM flag of -Dcom.github.fommil.netlib.BLAS=com.github.fommil.netlib.F2jBLAS to turn off the use of BLAS native library (ref. https://github.com/fommil/netlib-java). I guess some exceptions are mishandled for this. PoN creation fails properly if I run GATK without the JVM flag.
    Thanks again for your kind explanations!

@dayzcool, great to hear that you were able to resolve the issue! And thanks for your detailed diagnosis of the exit code issue---I'm tagging @LouisB, who may be interested.