To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

QD Annotation error in GATK in VariantRecalibration step

hi all, i downloaded a BAM file from 1000 genomes to work on and converted it to FASTQ and aligned with bwa mem to hg38, this worked fine.

later I wanted to run VariantRecalibration and use the following commands for SNP and they worked fine as well.

java -Xmx8g -jar algorithms/gatk3/gatk.jar -T VariantRecalibrator -R references/hg38gatkbundle/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta -input data/HG100/HG100.output.raw.combined.vcf -mode SNP -resource:hapmap,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=15.0 references/hg38gatkbundle/hapmap_3.3.hg38.vcf -resource:omni,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=12.0 references/hg38gatkbundle/1000G_omni2.5.hg38.vcf -resource:1000G,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=10.0 references/hg38gatkbundle/1000G_phase1.snps.high_confidence.hg38.vcf -resource:dbsnp,known=true,training=false,truth=false,prior=2.0 references/hg38gatkbundle/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.dbsnp138.vcf -an DP -an QD -an FS -an SOR -an MQ -an MQRankSum -an ReadPosRankSum --maxGaussians 4 -tranche 100.0 -tranche 99.9 -tranche 99.0 -tranche 90.0 -recalFile data/HG100/HG100.recalibrate.SNP.recal -tranchesFile data/HG100/HG100.recalibrate.SNP.tranches -rscriptFile data/HG100/HG100.recalibrate.SNP.plots.R

java -Xmx8g -jar algorithms/gatk3/gatk.jar -T ApplyRecalibration -R references/hg38gatkbundle/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta -input data/HG100/HG100.output.raw.combined.vcf -mode SNP --ts_filter_level 99.5 -recalFile data/HG100/HG100.recalibrate.SNP.recal -tranchesFile data/HG100/HG100.recalibrate.SNP.tranches -o data/HG100/HG100.recalibrated.snp.vcf
Next I wanted to perform VariantRecalibration for InDels so use the following command:

java -Xmx8g -jar algorithms/gatk3/gatk.jar -T VariantRecalibrator -R references/hg38gatkbundle/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta -input data/HG100/HG100.output.raw.combined.vcf -mode INDEL -resource:mills,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=12.0 references/hg38gatkbundle/Mills_and_1000G_gold_standard.indels.hg38.vcf -resource:dnsnp,known=true,training=false,truth=false,prior=2.0 references/hg38gatkbundle/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.dbsnp138.vcf -an QD -an DP -an FS -an SOR -an ReadPosRankSum -an MQRankSum -an InbreedingCoeff --maxGaussians 4 -recalFile data/HG100/HG100.recalibrate.INDEL.recal -tranchesFile data/HG100/HG100.recalibrate.INDEL.tranches -rscriptFile data/HG100/HG100.recalibrate.INDEL.plots.R
The issue I am facing is that when i run the above command I am getting an annotation related error for e.g QD annotation is not found on any input callsets. I have confirmed that the input VCf has the annotations since it was specified on the UnifiedGenotyper.

Any ideas why this is happening, i am trying to detect variants from a single BAM file.

Any help will be highly appreciated.