To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Confusion in using gVCF mode

Hi

I have problem in using HaplotypeCaller gVCF mode ( GATK4 best practices). Please let me know following problems:

1- Should we run gVCF even when we have one WES sample?

2- I have 3 WES samples, should I use gVCF --> Cosolidate --> GenotypeGVCF --> VCF or it is better to obtain VCF directly from HaplotypeCaller and ignore its next steps?

3- If I have 3-5 WES samples, is it better to run HaplotypeCaller with multiple input (bams) or separately?

Regards.

Best Answers

Answers

• Thanks @Sheila , @SkyWarrior for your answers

DO you suggest to use Haplotypecaller separately for each sample or use multiple input for it?

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@Ahmadsam66
    Hi,

If you choose to run the GVCF workflow, you will have to run on each sample separately. If you run HaplotypeCaller in normal mode on all samples, you can run with all BAMs at once. Have a look at this article as well.

-Sheila