To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Invalid or corrupt jarfile

GreyGrey Member
edited January 23 in Ask the GATK team

When I run

./gatk --help

it seems to be working fine. However, running anything else such as

./gatk --list

produces an error:

Error: Invalid or corrupt jarfile /path/to/gatk/gatk-4.0.0.0/gatk-package-4.0.0.0-local.jar

What's going on? Sorry this might be noob question.

Answers

• SkyWarriorSkyWarrior TurkeyMember

Can you try to re-download the package and extract the script and the jar files into the same folder? Your download may have been interrupted therefore the file is corrupt.

• Hi, I got the same error and realized I was working with java 1.7, whereas java 1.8 is required.

• Hi,

I have java 1.8 and i still get this error
    GATK jar /Users/preetisingh/Documents/gatk-4.0.1.1/gatk-package-4.0.1.1-local.jar
    Running:
    java -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_read_samtools=false -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_samtools=true -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_tribble=false -Dsamjdk.compression_level=1 -jar /Users/preetisingh/Documents/gatk-4.0.1.1/gatk-package-4.0.1.1-local.jar --help
    Invalid or corrupt jarfile /Users/preetisingh/Documents/gatk-4.0.1.1/gatk-package-4.0.1.1-local.jar

The terminal doesn't recognise GATK as commands. I reinstalled the package and still no avail (tried this at least 5 times). Could someone please help me.

I'm new to GATK and have had my brain wrecked over this since last 2 weeks. Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Preeti

• Also, the script and jar files have been extracted into the same folder (every time) and still I get the same error.

Thanks.

Preeti

• Hi,

Apologies for the constant texts. I have been able to list the files but my terminal (on Mac) still doesn't recognise GATK commands. With any GATK command I get the following error
    -bash: gatk: command not found

I am unable to create a reference file even though I have downloaded the bundle from Broad institute ftp server. Any GATK command comes with the above mentioned error.

./gatk works with --help and --list but nothing else.

Hope someone will be able to address my concerns.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Preeti

• Hi,

I am currently having the same issue. I ensured I had the correct java version (1.8) and I downloaded directly from the GATK website. So far, ./gatk --help works but ./gatk list or any other command doesn't work.

I have gotten the following errors:
    "-bash: ./gatk: No such file or directory"
    or
    " Error: Invalid or corrupt jarfile".

• Hi,
    I also have same problem. My system is Linux, and java is "java version "1.8.0_45". I download the gatk-4.0.1.2.zip and unzip it, then I run ./gatk --list
    ./gatk --list
    Using GATK jar /hwfssz1/ST_META/AP/zhaohailong/install.software/gatk-4.0.1.2/gatk-package-4.0.1.2-local.jar
    Running:
    java -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_read_samtools=false -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_samtools=true -Dsamjdk.use_async_io_write_tribble=false -Dsamjdk.compression_level=1 -jar /hwfssz1/ST_META/AP/zhaohailong/install.software/gatk-4.0.1.2/gatk-package-4.0.1.2-local.jar --help
    Error: Invalid or corrupt jarfile /hwfssz1/ST_META/AP/zhaohailong/install.software/gatk-4.0.1.2/gatk-package-4.0.1.2-local.jar

Please help me, how can I solve it?

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@preetisingh @JmeAlena @zhaoxvwahaha
    Hi everyone,

Do you have Python 2.6 or greater installed as well? Have a look at the README for more information.

-Sheila

• Hi there,

My version of python is 2.7.7.

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@JmeAlena
    Hi again,

The README did not help? Can you post exactly what you get when you type python --version and java -version in your command line? Sometimes you may have a few different versions downloaded and the version used is not the one you want.

-Sheila

• It appears that the cluster I was using had some issues with the java version 1.8 even though it was the version being used. I have moved a different cluster that seems to have java properly installed and it now works. Thank you!