Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

GQX values in gvcf

I found this description of the GQX value that is potentially available in a gvcf on the illumina website.
The description implies this could be used to filter fairly/equally the variant and nonvariant sites.
I don't see this available with GATK, and I wondered if this was going to be something that could be added in the future.

Best Answers

Answers

• prepagamprepagam Member

Hi Geraldine
    Thanks, that make sense. I guess the GQX value sounded different because they imply you can filter variant and non-variant sites fairly with it, whereas you can't use GQ and RGQ in that way e.g. filter both with a value of 20 to get similar stringency of filtering variant and nonvariant sites (or perhaps I misunderstood illumina's description). It seems that filtering of nonvariant sites is a somewhat under studied area.

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@prepagam
    Hi,

For filtering non-variant sites, you can look at the QUAL score, rather than the GQ score. Have a look at this article.

-Sheila

• prepagamprepagam Member

Hi Shelia
    I guess the concern is how to filter with similar stringency for variant and non-variant sites. QUAL will always be lower for non-reference, so if i filter via QUAL, then I will overly filter the variant calls.