Information regarding the GATK Workshop in Taiwan

Hi,

a colleague and I are quite interested in doing a GATK 4 training. Today I've seen the announcement in the event calendar that there is one of your larger trainings coming up in March in Taiwan. To get this trip accepted we need to know more about it. When will there be additional information? Can someone tell us the expected cost and how many people can attend? Is there a link to the event?

Thanks and best regards,
Daniel

Tagged:

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Milestone
Array
Closed By
vdauwera

Best Answer

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@dbecker
    Hi Daniel,

I will have someone from the team get back to you soon.

-Sheila

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hi Daniel, the workshop is being organized by NARLabs in Taipei but registration is not yet open; we're still finalizing some details. Are you located in Munich like your profile says? We'll almost certainly have a couple of workshops in Europe in the Spring, so you may want to hold out for that -- unless you've got your heart set on traveling halfway across the world just for GATK, which we'll take as a great compliment! If it's also an opportunity for an exotic holiday then it's a little bit less of a compliment but we'll still take it ;)

• dbeckerdbecker MunichMember

Hi,

it's all of the above. Of course we would fly halfway across the world just for GATK and it's also definetly a chance to see Taiwan.
    Most of all we believe that there is a chance to take part in an early and profound GATK 4 workshop since it takes place soon and is planned for 4 days. Most workshops I've seen so far are shorter and might therefore offer less opportunity to discuss the changes in GATK4.
    If the price is acceptable for the people in charge it would be a perfect fit.

Best,
    Daniel

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Ah I see, that's fair :)

Note that the 4th day is focused on pipelining with WDL and FireCloud; so it's not as GATK4-specific as you might be thinking, though it will enable participants to understand and run the ready-baked GATK4 Best Practices workflows that will accompany the 4.0 release.

• Hi Geraldine,
    i would like to join the GATK4 workshop in Taipei, is the registration already open?

Best wishes
    Martin

Thanks for the info Sheila!

We already tried to write a mail to Nar Labs but we weren't able to reach anyone there. So we will wait for your post.

Best,
    Daniel

• WeichiWeichi Member
    edited January 25

I'm waiting for the workshop information,too!
    As @Geraldine_VdAuwera said it will focus on WDL and FireCloud, I want to know if it suitable for a GATK beginner?
    If not, what should I need to prepare before the workshop?

Many thanks,
    Weichi

@Weichi
    Hi,

there is a faq on what to prepare for a workshop https://software.broadinstitute.org/gatk/documentation/article?id=11051
    I belive that it should be suitable for for beginners since only the 4th day is about wdl and the cloud, as I understood.

Best,
    Daniel

• @dbecker
    Hi,

Thanks for your useful information.

Best,
    Weichi

Yes this workshop is suitable for GATK beginners. Registration is not yet open but will be in the near future. We will post a notice on the GATK blog when the registration page becomes available. Thank you for your interest!

• Hi
    I do not find the registration information in the blog.
    I am so excited that the workshop will be host in Taiwan. Hope I will attend the workshop!

• energybyeenergybye TaiwanMember

Hellow everyone!
    I found this link on my facebook main page this morning!
    https://sites.google.com/view/nchcworkshop2018/nchc_workshop_2018
    I'm as excited as you guys, but the registration page had already full!
    I'll try mailing to the host and ask if there is a bigger room for the workshop. I can't wait to meet you all!

Issue · Github
    by Sheila

Issue Number
    State
    closed
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array
    Closed By
    vdauwera
  • Thank you for the update.

Google Translator says "Welcome qualified applicants from domestic universities, academic research institutions and industry to register."
    It seems, there are restricitions for non-taiwanese/chinese attendees.

greetings from Munich

Hi all, our hosts told me there will be another opportunity for registration opening on Feb 5. It does sound like they are prioritizing Taiwanese participants though, which is fair since they are paying for the workshop costs.

Rest assured however we are currently planning other workshops; currently we're looking at Montreal (Quebec) in March, Beijing (China) in April, Sevilla (Spain) in May and Cambridge (UK) in July. Note that these are not yet confirmed; we are still discussing options and logistics with the prospective hosts. I hope to be able to post an update soon once we have some of these finalized.

• Welcome to Taipei.

There are 30 seats in the auditorium and 24 in another lecture room to watch live broadcast. The seats were filled in seconds after registration opened.

Hope to get admitted.