To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

libVectorLoglessPairHMM is not present in GATK 3.8 - HaplotypeCaller is slower than 3.4-46!

mnw21cammnw21cam Exeter UniversityMember
edited November 2017 in Ask the GATK team

We are running GATK on a multi-core Intel Xeon that does not have AVX. We have just upgraded from running 3.4-46 to running 3.8, and HaplotypeCaller runs much more slowly. I noticed that our logs used to say:

Using SSE4.1 accelerated implementation of PairHMM
INFO 06:18:09,932 VectorLoglessPairHMM - libVectorLoglessPairHMM unpacked successfully from GATK jar file
INFO 06:18:09,933 VectorLoglessPairHMM - Using vectorized implementation of PairHMM

But now they say:

WARN 07:10:21,304 PairHMMLikelihoodCalculationEngine$1 - OpenMP multi-threaded AVX-accelerated native PairHMM implementation is not supported
WARN 07:10:21,310 PairHMMLikelihoodCalculationEngine$1 - AVX-accelerated native PairHMM implementation is not supported. Falling back to slower LOGLESS_CACHING implementation

I'm guessing the newfangled Intel GKL isn't working so well for us. Note that I had a very similar problem with GATK 3.4-0, in and this was resolved in GATK 3.4-46.

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
Last Updated
Closed By