Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

GATK 3.5 FindCoveredIntervals works same regardless of DuplicateFilter tag

Hi,

When using FindCoveredIntervals tool, I find no difference when calling the tool with -drf DuplicateRead tag, or without it (when using -rf DuplicateRead tag).
Manual checking of .bam file using IGV shows that duplicate reads are existing in the input .bam, and that resulting .bed files ignore intervals where duplicate reads increase coverage over given threshold in both cases (with or without a flag).

Is this bug already known, I haven't been able to find similar questions on the forum? Is it fixed in later versions of GATK, and is there (or will there be) same or similar tool in GATK 4.0? Am I using DuplicateRead filter wrong and expecting wrong result?

Thanks in advance,
-Boris

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@Boris
    Hi Boris,

Which version of GATK are you using? Can you test this on just one site where the duplicate read filter should definitely come into play? For example, you can just run on a single base which has duplicate reads covering it. Can you post the BAM file and output record for that site?
    Thanks,
    Sheila