To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Picard Markduplicates Error: Value was put into pairInfoMap more than once

Dear all,
I got an error when i use picard tools to mark duplicates
my picardtools version 2.8.3
my sample: PE, one lane
BWA + GATK

get index of Ref

bwa index /disk/BGI_jiangzy_humilis/BGI_j_humilis.fa
java -jar /disk/share/picard-tools-2.8.3/picard.jar CreateSequenceDictionary REFERENCE=/disk/BGI_jiangzy_humilis/BGI_j_humilis.fa OUTPUT=/disk/BGI_jiangzy_humilis/BGI_j_humilis.dict
samtools faidx /disk/BGI_jiangzy_humilis/BGI_j_humilis.fa

mapping

bwa mem -t 20 -M -R "@RG\tID:Ph01111\tLB:Ph01111\tPL:Illumina\tPU:Ph01111\tSM:Ph01111" /disk/BGI_jiangzy_humilis/BGI_j_humilis.fa /disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/11_1_clean.fq.gz /disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/11_2_clean.fq.gz | gzip > /disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping.sam.gz

reorder

java -jar /disk/share/picard-tools-2.8.3/picard.jar ReorderSam REFERENCE=/disk/BGI_jiangzy_humilis/BGI_j_humilis.fa INPUT= /disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping.sam.gz OUTPUT= /disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping_Reorder.sam.gz VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT

Sam to bam

samtools view -bS /disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping_Reorder.sam.gz -o /disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping_Reorder.bam

sort

java -jar /disk/share/picard-tools-2.8.3/picard.jar SortSam I=/disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping_Reorder.bam O=/disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping_Reorder_sort.bam SORT_ORDER=coordinate

MarkDuplicates

java -jar /disk/share/picard-tools-2.8.3/picard.jar MarkDuplicates REMOVE_DUPLICATES= false INPUT=/disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping_Reorder_sort.bam OUTPUT=/disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping_Reorder_sort_MD.bam METRICS_FILE=marked_dup_metrics.txt CREATE_INDEX=true
Error:
Exception in thread "main" htsjdk.samtools.SAMException: Value was put into PairInfoMap more than once.
1: Ph01111:HWI-ST1307:159:C48TVACXX:7:1109:1787:63474

test

ValidateSamFile

java -jar /disk/share/picard-tools-2.8.3/picard.jar ValidateSamFile I=/disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/新建文件夹/Ph01111_mapping_Reorder_sort.bam MODE=SUMMARY
Exception in thread "main" htsjdk.samtools.SAMException: Value was put into PairInfoMap more than once. 1: HWI-ST1307:159:C48TVACXX:7:1109:1787:63474
at htsjdk.samtools.CoordinateSortedPairInfoMap.ensureSequenceLoaded(CoordinateSortedPairInfoMap.java:133)
at htsjdk.samtools.CoordinateSortedPairInfoMap.remove(CoordinateSortedPairInfoMap.java:86)
at htsjdk.samtools.SamFileValidator$CoordinateSortedPairEndInfoMap.remove(SamFileValidator.java:765)
at htsjdk.samtools.SamFileValidator.validateMateFields(SamFileValidator.java:499)
at htsjdk.samtools.SamFileValidator.validateSamRecordsAndQualityFormat(SamFileValidator.java:297)
at htsjdk.samtools.SamFileValidator.validateSamFile(SamFileValidator.java:215)
at htsjdk.samtools.SamFileValidator.validateSamFileSummary(SamFileValidator.java:143)
at picard.sam.ValidateSamFile.doWork(ValidateSamFile.java:196)
at picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:205)
at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.instanceMain(PicardCommandLine.java:94)
at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.main(PicardCommandLine.java:104)

FixMateInformation

java -jar /disk/share/picard-tools-2.8.3/picard.jar FixMateInformation I=/disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping_Reorder.bam O=/disk/gtdata/jiangzy_mydata/test/mapping/Ph01111_mapping_Reorder_Fixed.bam

Error
Exception in thread "main" htsjdk.samtools.SAMException: Found two records that are paired, not supplementary, and first of the pair
at htsjdk.samtools.SamPairUtil$SetMateInfoIterator.advance(SamPairUtil.java:453)
at htsjdk.samtools.SamPairUtil$SetMateInfoIterator.next(SamPairUtil.java:499)
at htsjdk.samtools.SamPairUtil$SetMateInfoIterator.next(SamPairUtil.java:388)
at picard.sam.FixMateInformation.doWork(FixMateInformation.java:206)
at picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:205)
at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.instanceMain(PicardCommandLine.java:94)
at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.main(PicardCommandLine.java:104)

Thank you very much for the help from all of you

Best Answer

• john_jiangjohn_jiang Member
    Accepted Answer

@Sheila said:
    @john_jiang
    Hi,

If you search the forum with your error message, you will find some helpful threads.

-Sheila

Thank you very much, in fact I searched the forum, and also did many test about my original clean data, i think it's a data problem. Now , I use bammarkduplicates2 tool of biobambam to mark duplicates, it also work and more efficient in terms of runtime and memory requirements.

Answers