To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Picard FilterSamReads not working

Hello,

I am using FilterSamReads in Picard to remove reads from a BAM file that are 1) marked as either both first/second of pair and 2) do not have a mate pair. I am supplying the program with a .txt file containing a list of the reads that I wish to exclude.

Unfortunately, when I run ValidateSamFile, the new BAM file from FilterSamReads still has all the reads I thought it had deleted.

Here is the command I'm using.

java -jar FilterSamReads.jar I=example.bam EXCLUDE_READS=reads_to_remove.txt O=GG_example_filtered.bam

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie, Moderator

Hi @freuv,

I'm just about to run FilterSamReads myself. The tool expects you to define a FILTER mode for the reads in the list, e.g. FILTER=includeReadList to pick them out or FILTER=excludeReadList to remove them.

Here's an example command:

java -jar /home/shlee/picard-2.11.0/picard.jar FilterSamReads \
        INPUT=hcc1143_N_clean_querysort.bam \
        OUTPUT=mates_N_chr17.bam \
        FILTER=includeReadList \
        READ_LIST_FILE=f1_N_chr17.txt \
        SORT_ORDER=coordinate \
        CREATE_INDEX=true \
        TMP_DIR=/tmp