To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Does HaplotypeCaller detect SNPs which are heterozygous (not matching the refrence allele)?

Dear GATK team,

I have a simple question regarding the HaplotypeCaller/UnifiedGenotype module. There are 3 options for SNPs in the output depended on the reference.
Homozygous for the reference, heterozygous for the reference and alternate nucleotide and homozygous for the alternate nucleotide (0/0, 1/1, 0/1). But what if I would like to have the SNPs which are heterozygous and do not match the reference allel. So e.g. the reference has an A and the mapped reads indicate a G/T. Does one of the module detect that? I have a diploid species and want to get all SNPs. This issue popped up after I had a look on the output of both modules.

Thanks a lot.
Julia

Answers

• JuliaCanitzJuliaCanitz GermanyMember

Dear GATK team,

I checked my data again. Unfortunately, I had not looked in detailed on my data. So, I missed that I have multi-allelic sites which are not occurring so often. Sorry for this misunderstanding.

If someone else has the same question, check your data with grep "1\/2" or "0\/2" beforehand. There is also a GATK command within the SelectVariants which is selecting multi-allelic sites.

Cheers,
    Julia

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@JuliaCanitz
    Hi Julia,

Thanks for reporting that you figured it out and your solution :smile:

-Sheila