Latest Release: 05/01/19
Release Notes can be found here.

Insufficient permissions to set lifecycle rule

I was hoping to add a lifecycle rule (automatic deletion of files after n days) to a Google Bucket linked to our FireCloud Workspace (navigate to the bucket =>Bucket Lock => Add lifecycle rule). However, I do not (even as the owner of the workspace) have sufficient permissions to do so, so I get the following error message:

You don't have permission to modify this bucket's metadata. Contact the bucket owner to grant you the "storage.buckets.get", "storage.buckets.update", and "storage.buckets.setIamPolicy" permissions.

Is the decoupling of workspace ownership and ownership of the bucket done by design? If so, do you know of another way to set up this kind of automatic deletion policy?

Best Answer

Answers

• SChaluvadiSChaluvadi Member, Broadie, Moderator admin

@ccovingt
    I will look into the this issue and see if I can help find a way to set up the life cycle rule!

• ccovingtccovingt Member

@SChaluvadi Great, thank you very much!

@SChaluvadi Thanks for letting me know!

I would say that the primary concern was cleaning up intermediate data in the interest of saving money on storage. Our FireCloud pipelines write final output to a Google Bucket separate from the one linked to FireCloud, so we don't have much need for the data in the FireCloud bucket after the workflow is done.

We have been doing the deletion manually (deleting the files associated with a run after it completes) which mostly works fine. I guess, for our purposes, it would be ideal to be able to more easily link the 'directories' with the workflow run and maybe have the option to clear out files automatically after a certain number of days.

• SChaluvadiSChaluvadi Member, Broadie, Moderator admin

@ccovingt
    Ah! Yes, we do have something planned to support the kind of deletion you are referring to. There was a survey on the forum for a while to ask if users which of the following users would like to see prioritized:
    Delete Everything - An option to delete outputs from all workflows in a submission.
    Delete Failures - An option to delete outputs from all failed workflows in a submission.
    Delete Intermediates - An option to delete all intermediate outputs from workflows.
    Delete what’s not in the data model - An option to delete all outputs not bound to the data model in a workspace.

While I do not have a timeline yet for when and which functionality will be next to come, I will do my best to keep this post updated with status. Hope this helps!

Great, thanks again @SChaluvadi! I will keep an eye out for those functionalities.