Attention:
The frontline support team will be unavailable to answer questions on April 15th and 17th 2019. We will be back soon after. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience!
Latest Release: 03/12/19
Release Notes can be found here.

GATK "bwa_commandline" variable settings and comparisons to Bowtie2

Hi there,

I've been working on improving a workflow for processing data for my lab, and I wanted to compare the workflow we have set out to some of GATK's best practices workflows. We are currently using Bowtie2 and fgbio+picard to deal with our data.

My question is on the bwa mem command line written in the "processing-for-variant-discovery-gatk4.hg38.wgs.inputs.json"

The bwa mem command line is: "bwa mem -K 100000000 -p -v 3 -t 16 -Y $bash_ref_fasta"
Looking at the manual page of bwa mem, I'm having a hard time finding out what these two variables are: -K and -Y. The two variables are not defined in the bwa mem manual page, so I don't really know what they are doing.

As for the 2nd part, I want to compare the results from alignment that we get from Bowtie2 and Bwa Mem using GATK's settings for BWA mem. Would you happen to know the closest parameters I can set for BT2, so that I can do an apt comparison when aligning? (We're using hg19.fa as the ref files.)

Thanks!
Max
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @Mchao

I will pass this question to the firecloud team and @SChaluvadi Will be able to help you out with it.

• MchaoMchao Member
    Thank you for the help!