Latest Release: 05/01/19
Release Notes can be found here.

Jobs stuck in queued status

mleventhalmleventhal Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie ✭✭

Hello,

Since around midnight last night to this morning, all of the jobs I have launched are stuck in the "queued" state. This extends from jobs that are run on a single sample to jobs run on sample sets of 164 samples, so "batching" my submissions does not seem like a solution. Additionally, I am not under the impression that I am running up against any kind of quota, so I am perplexed as to what could be the issue. Any insight would be appreciated, thank you!

Best,
Matt Leventhal

Best Answer

Answers

• lelaginalelagina Member, Broadie

Hello,

I am experiencing similar issues. Jobs stuck in Submitted state for an hour. Even though there are no jobs in the queue.

Running on pair set of 50 pairs.

Thank you,
    Luda.

• KateNKateN Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

Thanks for the report, I'm looking into it.

Both @mleventhal and @lelagina, could you please share your workspaces with [email protected] (workspace>share button). Then please post here the following information:

Workspace Name
    Submission ID
    Workflow ID

We are trying to look into why and how these workspaces are hanging, and the developers would like to look at the metadata further.

Workspace Name:
    broad-firecloud-wuclonal/Wu_FollicularLyphoma_Data_Clinical_Pipeline
    Submission ID
    3f1f26f5-b4f7-4036-ae38-1abdd22a13dd
    Workflow ID

• mleventhalmleventhal Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie ✭✭

Thank you for the prompt repsonse, I have shared the workspaces.

The two workspaces with hanging jobs are as follows

ebert-fc/new_SCB0024
    Submission ID:
    2b670ff0-430c-4b6a-921b-8f50591bc957

ebert-fc/exac_maf_aggregation
    Submission IDs:
    8dd19abd-7704-427d-bce1-cb46a932594b
    cc87d433-2a03-4821-be9a-927e8adfcff3

There are no workflow IDs anymore because I aborted the jobs (or in one case the job is still aborting). Let me know if I should kick anything off for purposes of demonstration

My apologies, all but 8dd... lack workspace IDs, Here are some workspace IDs for 8dd...

Hello Kate,

Thank you for quick help. I will monitor the progress.

Did developers find solution only for the workspaces that Matt and I shared with you or for any workspace? As I have jobs submitted problem in another workspaces.

Thank you,
    Luda.

Hello Kate,

Jobs are running in all my workspaces.

Thank you,
    Luda.

Hi Kate,

My jobs are running too, thank you!

As a question about the error: would I run into a similar issue if I attempted to run a job on ~7000 samples that runs for about 10 minutes per sample? The task runs on mafs that are only a few kb-MB in size. Would you suspect that this would create an issue with the queue or would this be unlikely to cause an issue? Thank you!

Best,
    Matt

• francois_afrancois_a Member, Broadie ✭✭

Seeing this issue again -- thanks in advance for looking into it.

Example:
    submission: 0828e925-ecac-4112-a072-9f68d93761db
    workflow: 38ad020d-15d2-4886-9b19-36c91e759a94

• RobinKRobinK Member

I am running into the issue as well:
    SubmissionId: 9fcfc72b-3cc8-403c-b259-de505944c6d0

Thanks!

@mleventhal I am looking into your question, but I don't have an answer for you yet. Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about you.

@francois_a and @RobinK Beginning last night (5/17) around 10 pm EST, we noticed a large influx of jobs. Cromwell is currently running the maximum number of jobs we allow, which means there is a backlog waiting in the QueuedInCromwell state.

I'm working to find out more information about how long this delay might be, but for now we ask for your patience.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Update on this: it seems that we're hitting some limits set by Google due to an individual submission that amounts to a very large number of jobs (~60k). We're working with GCP support to figure out a way forward. See the service notice I just posted on the blog and banner in the FC portal for updates.

@mleventhal Following up on your question from earlier:

As a question about the error: would I run into a similar issue if I attempted to run a job on ~7000 samples that runs for about 10 minutes per sample? The task runs on mafs that are only a few kb-MB in size. Would you suspect that this would create an issue with the queue or would this be unlikely to cause an issue? Thank you!

I don't believe a job run on 7000 samples would cause a queue issue unless each sample was being scattered individually a 50 times. That case would involve 350k concurrent calls, which is larger than Google allows us to handle right now. Doug's comment here explains the current limitations on job size fairly well.

Thank you, this and Doug's comment were very helpful!