re-assign ownership of orphaned methods.

dheimandheiman ✭✭Member, Broadie ✭✭

We had a team member leave Broad a few months back, and it turns out that multiple methods that we all now need access to under our shared namespace belonged only to him.

For all tasks, workflows, and configs owned by [email protected] in the broadgdac namespace, please add the following owners:

This is a high priority for us, as it is keeping us from updating these methods.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• KateNKateN admin Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

I will get someone on this right away. Sorry for the weekend delay!

After discussing with the development team, there is unfortunately no way for us to go in and adjust the ownership permissions on those workspaces. You do have two options going forward, however.

OPTION 1: Contact Bits (Broad's internal IT department for non-Broadies reading this solution) and ask for access to timdef's account. You can then use that account to add the owners you wish to have above.

OPTION 2: I am assuming you have read access to timdef's workspaces. You can create copies of those methods and do any work you need in those copies going forward.

I hope these options help unblock you. Let me know if you need anything further.

• mnoblemnoble Broad Institute of MIT & HarvardMember, Broadie

Thank you, Kate, Option 2 seems simplest as we can presumably do it all ourself?

David, I'm assuming this is our "dev" space? If so, it seems like the simplest way forward is to create a fresh space (maybe dev_temp), copy all configs we want into it (and the data, too), then delete "dev" and rename "dev_temp". Not ideal, but if it works then at least it unblocks for now.

One possible hitch is that FireCloud may not permit us to delete the"dev" space when it contains configs to which none of us have WRITE/OWNER permissions. And if FireCloud DOES let us do that, Kate, then shouldn't that be written up as a bug?

• dheimandheiman ✭✭ Member, Broadie ✭✭

@KateN I'm not asking about workspaces, but our method repository namespace.

@mnoble This is the broadgdac method namespace. The issue with option 2 is that we'd have to create a new method namespace, as naming collisions due to said ownership prevent updating these methods.

It sounds like in that case, you would want to try option 1. We cannot alter the owners of a method repository namespace.

• gordon123gordon123 BroadMember, Broadie

IT typically frees up accounts of people after a certain interval, so I wonder how option 1 would work generally in the future.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera admin Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
    I think for now the right thing to do here is for us to document that teams who create shared namespaces need to plan for the eventuality of team members departing by ensuring that others on the team have owner access, or use a role account that is retained by the team to administer these shared namespaces.

We'll see with the product team whether there's anything more we can build in to make that more straightforward of course.
    edited June 2017
    Most of us are owners on the namespace, the issue is that we don't own all the methods in it. I'm hopeful that the method repository refactor will make it impossible for this issue to happen and give namespace owners full access to all methods under it, regardless of who wrote it.
  • Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera admin Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
    I believe that's the case but will check.
  • birgerbirger ✭✭✭ Member, Broadie, CGA-mod ✭✭✭

Reading through the thread, I see @KateN thought the issue was with workspaces, but the issue was with methods under repo namespaces. If, in her discussion with the developers, Kate presented the issue as one with workspaces rather than methods, then maybe the information she received (including the two options) may be inaccurate.

I did initially ask about workspaces; I went back and asked about methods and the developers assured me they were still unable to edit the permissions from their end.

• birgerbirger ✭✭✭ Member, Broadie, CGA-mod ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

A little belated, but thanks so much to @abaumann and @lukwam for quickly fixing this!