We've moved!
You can find our new documentation site and support forum for posting questions here.

Data Library

Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

As you may know, our platform hosts The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) data. We recently introduced the Data Library, which now hosts these TCGA datasets and in the future, will host additional datasets.

What is the Data Library?

The Data Library is a catalog of Workspaces that are allowed to be shared with other users. These Workspaces have been tagged with curated metadata in order to facilitate search and discovery of datasets. We refer to these as Dataset Workspaces. Filtering tools are available to help researchers find the right dataset for their research purpose.

Who can publish dataset in the Library?

We are releasing this feature in phases, so currently only users with Data Curator roles can publish Workspaces in the Data Library. To become a Data Curator please contact [email protected] In the future, we plan to allow all users to publish.

If I publish a Workspace in the Data Library, who can see it?

By default all FireCloud users will be able to view that a dataset exists and some metadata about it (e.g. : number of samples, data types, data owner). Curators also have the opportunity to limit the discoverability of a Dataset Workspace such that only certain user groups can discover it in the Data Library. Note, that users who discover a Dataset Workspace cannot necessarily view the content within the Workspace. Only users that were specifically granted with Read Access will be able to view the Dataset Workspaces’ contents. The Data Library will facilitate requests to acquire Read Access to specific Workspaces.

How can I access datasets that were cataloged in the Library?

You must have Read access or higher in order to access a Dataset Workspace. The Data Library will facilitate requests to acquire Read Access to specific Workspaces.

Where can I find the “The Cancer Genome Atlas” (TCGA) data in FC?

The TCGA are now available in the Data Library (see top left bar in the FireCloud portal interface).