Ever wish you could automatically remove your unwanted output files from a submission without having to manually review them? If so, take this two minute survey and tell us more.
Latest Release: 1/10/19
Release Notes can be found here.

RFE: need API and UI mechanism for deleting DONE jobs (submission results)

mnoblemnoble Broad Institute of MIT & HarvardMember, Broadie

I suspect I'm not the first to ask for this, but presently neither the API nor the UI expose a means by which submissions in DONE state may be deleted. Like usual, we'd love to see this as an API call before the UI implementation. Thanks!

Issue · Github
by Geraldine_VdAuwera

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Milestone
Array
Closed By
vdauwera

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
    Hi Mike, like all your requests so far this seems perfectly sensible :)

I believe we have a ticket to implement this, but I will check -- and make sure to pass on your preference for an API-first implementation.
  • Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
    edited March 2017

Update: the team is actively working on deletion functionality for workspace entities, but there are no plans yet to work on deletion functionality for submissions, although there is some design discussion happening around what deletion should mean in general (just hide, to allow for undeletion? hide and delete later? delete right away?) that would also apply to submissions.

We do have a ticket to get the "delete submissions" topic on the table but it might be a while before this gets picked up. In the meantime, can you tell me the main reason you want this feature? Is it to reduce clutter, storage costs, or something else?

Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on
  • gordon123gordon123 BroadMember, Broadie

It would also be good to filter purge candidates based on whether they are aborted/failed, or whether their outputs have been eclipsed in the data model. This would be to reduce storage costs.

Hi @gordon123, I've discussed this with the team, and although these are all reasonable features to ask for, they're not going to be able to tackle deletions for submissions for at least one more quarter due to other priorities. So for the foreseeable future you'll need to manually delete the data from submissions if you want to avoid paying storage costs. I realize that's not ideal but there's no way around it for now.

• abaumannabaumann Broad DSDEMember, Broadie ✭✭✭

Also be aware that when we add this it will show a warning saying "be aware that deleting submissions may break call caching for some tasks". This would not be true if you deleted all the intermediate results up to a final result, but people just need to be aware