Ever wish you could automatically remove your unwanted output files from a submission without having to manually review them? If so, take this two minute survey and tell us more.
Latest Release: 1/10/19
Release Notes can be found here.

Allow on fail/optional tasks in workflows

In firehose you could specify tasks to run either "onSuccess", "onFail", or "Optional" after the previous task.

(e.g. try the low memory option first, if it fails try the more expensive one.)

This would be really great for running complex workflows on large datasets, and something I cannot do in firecloud at the moment. (unless I'm missing something in the WDL docs)

Issue · Github
by Geraldine_VdAuwera

Issue Number
State
open
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Milestone
Array

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Hi @dlivitz, sorry for the late response. I believe this has been discussed at the design level but I'm not up to date on what has been/is being implemented. When @KateVoss comes back from vacation next week she will look into this with the Cromwell team.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

More definitive answer on this: no it's not possible, and there are no immediate plans to implement this. We can suggest workarounds if needed, but that's about all we can do for now. We can revisit the question next quarter if there's a lot of people who need this.