Ever wish you could automatically remove your unwanted output files from a submission without having to manually review them? If so, take this two minute survey and tell us more.
Latest Release: 1/17/19
Release Notes can be found here.

payment for use of uploaded tools

amaroamaro Broad InstituteMember, Broadie

Hey Firecloud

Given the difficulty of uploading tools / debugging wdl problems etc. Can you implement a system for payment to the task creator upon tool use? Even 10 cents or something per use would significantly incentivize developers to upload tools, make them easy to use / flexible, and make their tools public which ultimately would generate more users in general.

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Hi @amaro,

I understand your frustration with the current system's, shall we say, idiosyncrasies -- and first of all I want to say, now that we've got most of the really important functionality working, we're going to be able to spend some time and effort ironing those out to make the FireCloud user experience smoother for everyone including method developers.

With that -- I think you misunderstand the model we're pursuing here. This is not a "marketplace" platform; we are not in the business of recruiting users for the sake of it, and we're certainly not making money off of it. We're here to serve the community by offering a platform for researchers to share and run large-scale analyses. Aside from the non-trivial tax and legal complications that would ensue both for the Broad and for you as a developer if we were to put in place such a payment system, it would be entirely at odds with the spirit of the project.

So I would encourage you to see this platform as an opportunity to share your expertise and advertise the quality of your work. It's also an opportunity for you to benefit from the hard work and effort of other developers who contribute to the platform, without having to pay a cent for that privilege.

We are of course always happy to take feedback about what can be improved or streamlined to make the tool developer experience a more rewarding one -- just not monetarily ;)