Attention:
The frontline support team will be unavailable to answer questions until May27th 2019. We will be back soon after. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience!
Latest Release: 05/01/19
Release Notes can be found here.

issue with size arithmetic in FC

esalinasesalinas BroadMember, Broadie ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the FireCloud Team

I have a task in a WDL with a variable "diskGB" that is defined as Int and is used in the local-disk runtime setting like so :

task token_make
    {
    File refTar
    File bam
    File bamIdx    
        Int diskGB
...#(diskGB not used in command or in output block!)
runtime {
        disks: "local-disk ${diskGB} HDD"

To set the diskGB setting the call I wrote in the WDL as :

call token_make
            {
            input:
        bam=bams[index],
        bamIdx=bamIndices[index],
                refTar=refTar,
                diskGB=size(refTar,"G")*3+size(bamIndices[index],"G")+size(bams[index],"G")+5
            }

In the setting here I do some small calculation to set the size of the disk. The size for BAMs, for the refTar (and its untarring) and 5GB for output space. But when I tried this in FC, it did not run at all! I tried changing "Int diskGB" in the task variable definition to "Float diskGB" and it did not work either.

Is what I am trying to do possible? I thought it was possible. But since it is not running it is seeming impossible.

Should I have written "diskGB=size(refTar,"G")*3+size(bam,"G")+size(bamIdx,"G")+5 to instead refer to task-variables (on the left-hand side of the = )? I have not tried that.

I did this in FC sometime on Jan 31, 2017

Answers

• esalinasesalinas BroadMember, Broadie ✭✭✭

To get around this issue I put "diskGB=100" in the call and it worked fine. After the FC demo yesterday, I created a workflow-level input named "token_make_diskGB" of type "Array[Int]" and the relevant part of the call is "diskGB=token_make_diskGB[index]" and it is running fine.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Does your original WDL work if you run locally, outside of FireCloud? I wonder if it's a Cromwell issue or a FC issue.