Latest Release: 11/14/18
Release Notes can be found here.

Navigating to results can be simplified in FireCloud UI

mnoblemnoble Broad Institute of MIT & HarvardMember, Broadie

Not sure if this should be sent to the [email protected] email (and turned into a ticket) or here. But, see attached images: my goal was to view the results of task as a Nozzle summary report. It seems at least 2-3 clicks in this navigation path can be avoided in the common case.

Issue · Github
by Geraldine_VdAuwera

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Milestone
Array
Closed By
vdauwera

Comments

• esalinasesalinas BroadMember, Broadie ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

If a single file is explicitly delocalized, one may, in the task, for the workflow, under the submission, under the monitor tab, click on the "Show" text (near "Outputs") to list it (along with other outputs such as stderr and stdout) and a link next to it.

Post edited by esalinas on

see attached image for a clicked "Show" text

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
    Hi @mnoble, this is indeed the right place for your question.

As I understand it the nozzle reports are not a FireCloud feature as such, they are actually features of the CGA workflows themselves. So the FireCloud platform itself is agnostic to them.

That being said it may be possible to make nozzle reports first class citizens in FireCloud, which would enable us to expose them more straightforwardly in the UI. Or more generically, any report produced by a workflow that the user wants to "promote" in the is way. If there's a lot of demand for this potential feature we can certainly discuss and see if we can put it on the roadmap.
  • Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

@mnoble I re-read the question and realized you probably weren't asking for something specific to to nozzle reports, but output files in general. If so, there's some work going on this quarter to streamline the user experience, so I'll make sure to pass this comment on to the team that's working on this.

• mnoblemnoble Broad Institute of MIT & HarvardMember, Broadie

Thanks Geraldine: you're right, I was looking for simpler navigation in general. I can imagine a use case where .html files in a leaf node of an output tree would be automatically rendered, but it's only 1 extra click. It's all those other clicks through the "bucket hierarchy" that would be nice to have disappear: in addition to the extra work to locate and view workflow results, it also foments UI dissonance, by exposing (a very different look-n-feel of) the Google console UI when one thinks they're "in" the FireCloud UI. Cheers, Mike

That makes sense -- I don't like context-switching between the FC UI and the Google console either. How do you feel about the experience of looking at the workflow outputs as they're listed per-task in the workflow overview, like in the screenshot Eddie posted above?

Yes, what Eddie pointed out is a bit better than navigating the bucket hierarchy. Count that as a relative newbie mistake on my part to miss this in the UI. But still, look at the latest image I've attached: even though unhiding the outputs does reduce the amount of click-through, it seems the UI can still overwhelm (e.g. for exposing the long bucket paths).

At the risk of creep-changing the original post, perhaps the named outputs can be turned into HTML links, which resolve to the Google bucket id's (and those can also be put into a tooltip that pops up)

Hmm, fair point. I agree it's fairly pointless to have the full path written out, and presenting these as links would be more convenient. Will put in a ticket.

Issue · Github
    by Geraldine_VdAuwera

Issue Number
    State
    closed
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array
    Milestone
    Array
    Closed By
    vdauwera
  • abaumannabaumann Broad DSDEMember, Broadie ✭✭✭

We can decide what to do if we change this - the one thing that is helpful with this is you get the full URL so you can copy and paste it into something (gsutil, TSVs for firecloud, etc). When you click the link, it's a different URL so you can't just copy paste that. I am not against changing this to much smaller text, just pointing out what will change.

Oh right, I didn't think about the difference between the gs:// path and the URL. I think as a user this is what I would prefer, personally:

• In the outputs list, the output names are direct links to the bucket locations so I can one-click to access them.
    • In addition, I am provided with a tsv file that recaps all the outputs and the corresponding gs:// paths.

@mnoble and @esalinas, would you care to comment on how you feel about this option?

@Geraldine_VdAuwera I like being provided a direct link (the first bullet). I think the TSV (second bullet) is also a good idea. They both help in "smooth" user work I think.

For certain file types (maybe ".bam"?) file previewing could perhaps be disabled by default and if a user clicks a check-box then it comes up?

I think the bucket links in the UI have extra stuff (like "https://console.cloud.google.com") that is not the exact GS-URL.

If the direct-link you mention in the first bullet has this sort of extra stuff then, there should be a link that is copy/paste-able so that it can be used in a command-line gsutil command.

In the file-preview box, the copy-pasteable link used to get there is usable for that purpose, but once you are in the file preview box, there is no copy-pasteable URL it has "Google bucket:" and "Object:" which means the copy-paste job has to be a two-step. do you think it would be nice if the preview box also had a copy-pasteable link so that you can easily download what you've previewed?

would be nice if the preview box also had a copy-pasteable link so that you can easily download what you've previewed

I think a download button would be simpler, if I'm already previewing the thing -- I would prefer a one-click download then a copy paste operation, not you?

@Geraldine_VdAuwera a download button is a good idea I agree!

edited March 2017

Great, I put in a ticket with a wishlist for improvements to the workflow exploration UI based on this thread, my own observations and feedback from a few others as well.

Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on