No machines available error

ericco92ericco92 Cambridge, UKMember ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to interpret the following error:

The job was stopped before the command finished. PAPI error code 5. no machines available

Does this mean no machines were available from the cloud, or that I have an invalid configuration in my WDL?

I've tested my WDL locally and it runs fine. It's available here, if it helps: https://github.com/edawson/bammer/blob/master/bammer.wdl

Best Answer

• ericco92ericco92 Cambridge, UK ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I found the offending line in my WDL after going through it carefully - I had called size but forgot to provide the "GB" argument, so when passed to the task and then disks, I was trying to request a machine with (size in bytes) Gigabytes of disk. This parameter gets ignored locally, so the run works fine, but (sensibly) fails on the cloud when I request peta- to exa-scale disks...

Thank you for the help, @SChaluvadi ! Is there any way to extract what machine properties are requested from the logs by the way? This would help debug stuff like this in the future.

Answers

• SChaluvadiSChaluvadi Member, Broadie, Moderator admin

@ericco92 Can you check that all the gs:// paths are typed in correctly. Sometimes there are hidden characters in the gs urls that cause this error.

• ericco92ericco92 Cambridge, UKMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I found the offending line in my WDL after going through it carefully - I had called size but forgot to provide the "GB" argument, so when passed to the task and then disks, I was trying to request a machine with (size in bytes) Gigabytes of disk. This parameter gets ignored locally, so the run works fine, but (sensibly) fails on the cloud when I request peta- to exa-scale disks...

Thank you for the help, @SChaluvadi ! Is there any way to extract what machine properties are requested from the logs by the way? This would help debug stuff like this in the future.

• RuchiRuchi Member, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin

Hey @ericco92 -- that's a great feature suggestion! No way to see it in the logs today, but I can imagine publishing that in the UI would be helpful

In this case, do the "inputs" of your task give enough info about the size of disk being requested?

• ericco92ericco92 Cambridge, UKMember ✭✭

Hey @Ruchi - so my largest input file is 400GB (429496729600 bytes). Requesting 429496729600 gigabytes means I ask for a disk that's 400 exabytes (409600 petabytes) in size. For what it's worth the total amount of knowledge estimated to exist in the world in 2011 was only 250 exabytes.