We've moved!
You can find our new documentation site and support forum for posting questions here.

When I create a workspace I do not have access to the google bucket

birgerbirger Member, Broadie, CGA-mod ✭✭✭

I created a workspace yesterday afternoon, and got the message: The Google bucket associated with this workspace is currently unavailable. This should be resolved shortly. If this persists for more than an hour, please write our help forum for assistance.

It has been 16 hours and I still do not have access. This morning I tried both cloning that workspace, and creating a new workspace from scratch, and I encountered the same issue: the workspace bucket is not available.

Best Answer

Answers

• SChaluvadiSChaluvadi Member, Broadie, Moderator admin

@birger I will check to see what may be happening and get back to you asap!

• birgerbirger Member, Broadie, CGA-mod ✭✭✭

I believe the problem is tied to the FireCloud project I am using. When I create a workspace under the firecloud project cloud-resource-miscellaneous project I run into this problem. When I created under another firecloud project, I do not.

• AdelaideRAdelaideR Member admin

Hi @birger, Yes, I do believe there is something that is happening that is related to this project. Have you created a workspace using this project in the past? I have reached out to the FC team to get a more specific answer for you.

I tried a different project (broad-fc-getzlab-workflows), and am having the same problem. This is a perennial issue.

• husseinhussein DSP @ Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Dev ✭✭

Hi Chet -- I'm opening a support ticket with Google about this. They're giving us a cryptic HTTP error code with no useful information when we try to add you to the bucket ACLs. Our current best guess is that you might be a member of too many groups, in which case it's possible that removing some of your access to a few workspaces might give you a little breathing room. I'll post back when I have more info from Google.

Thanks Hussein! I have access to so many workspaces because I am an owner on all of the FireCloud Billing Projects used by our lab (I manage all of the lab's Google Billing Accounts), and hence automatically am granted access to workspaces created under those projects.

• AdelaideRAdelaideR Member admin

@birger Did that solution work out for you?

@AdelaideR - what solution? I still can't access the workspace's bucket. I have access privileges to a large number of workspaces because I manage our lab's Google Billing accounts and FireCloud Billing Projects. That is not going to change. According to @hussein , the reason I'm encountering this issue is that I have access to too many workspaces. Hussien has opened a ticket with Google.

BTW, the error message is misleading - the bucket exists and is attached to the workspace. FireCloud's API call to Google Cloud Storage API to add me to the bucket ACL is failing.

• husseinhussein DSP @ Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Dev ✭✭

We looked into it further and it turns out there was a snafu in a migration script that created unnecessary extra groups. Doug has put together a fix, which is being reviewed. It should bring you back under the 2k limit for now, but you're still (likely) going to be the person in the most groups, so at some point you'll naturally hit that limit and we'll have to figure something out. I'll try to use this as an opportunity to get this on the collective radar.

@dvoet I'll just clone the workspace I had been working with. I never ran any any analyses in it because the bucket wasn't accessible. All I need is the data model and the workspace attributes. Thanks!