How do I change a bucket to use coldline storage

I uploaded close to 1000 bams to a FireCloud bucket and then was able to run the analysis that I needed on them. I was wondering how I how I can go about either changing this bucket to use coldline storage or moving these files to a new bucket that uses coldine storage, as it is quite expensive to have host them on the default bucket type.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• gkugenergkugener
    Accepted Answer

I opted to change the storage type of individual objects in the bucket rather than trying to change a whole buckets storage type, which works well for my use-case.

Answers

• SChaluvadiSChaluvadi Member, Broadie, Moderator admin

@gkugener Let me find out if this is possible and if so, the how, and get back to you!

@gkugener I believe that you can do this from the Google Cloud Platform Console as depicted here!

• gkugenergkugener Member

Ah yes I am able to navigate to this UI, thanks! However, when I try to save my change, the 'save' button is not clickable, and hovering over it has the following message: "You don't have permission to edit the bucket. Ask a project owner to grant you the storage.buckets.update permission." Who is the project owner in this case?

@gkugener You might have to ask the person that perhaps shared the workspace with you assuming they are the person that is the owner of the workspace. Essentially, the individual who set up the workspace and/or billing account associated with the workspace should have the permissions to grant you access or change the bucket options themselves. Please let us know if you need further help!

• gkugenergkugener Member
    Accepted Answer

I opted to change the storage type of individual objects in the bucket rather than trying to change a whole buckets storage type, which works well for my use-case.