Transfer of ownership of usergroup for method creation in group namespace

RLCollinsRLCollins Harvard Medical SchoolMember ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the FireCloud Team

Hi FC team,

We have a method namespace called Talkowski-SV on FireCloud, in which members of the Talkowski-Lab-SV group can create methods.

The sole owner of that user group left the lab several months ago, and we overlooked transferring the owner permissions of that group to a new member before he left.

What recourse do we have to retroactively nominate a new owner of that usergroup? Is there someone in particular I should contact? We would like to transfer the group ownership to my FC account ([email protected]).

Thanks,
Ryan

Best Answer

Answers

• Tiffany_at_BroadTiffany_at_Broad Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

@RLCollins - I don't believe we currently have capabilities to handle this situation in FireCloud and I am not sure of the policy we support in giving someone else owner access. Reaching out to a few others to find out more. Stay tuned!

• RLCollinsRLCollins Harvard Medical SchoolMember ✭✭

Hi @Tiffany_at_Broad, thanks for looking into this. We were able to get in touch with the former member of our lab who we thought had established this usergroup, and it turns out he is not the group owner either. Is there any way for your team to check who this might be on your end?

Thanks for your help!

edited August 2018

Quick update: Alex Baumann got in touch with us via a shared slack channel, and was able to help us around the more urgent half of this issue (adding users to the Talkowski-SV methods namespace). I don't think we know who owns our lab's user group Talkowski-Lab-SV, but that isn't as critical for the time being.

• Tiffany_at_BroadTiffany_at_Broad Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin
    edited August 2018

Hi @RLCollins would there be any hardships if you were to create a new group for your lab where you are the owner and establish additional owners to prevent this from happening? I will follow up with Alex to see what we can do there, but just curious!

Hi @Tiffany_at_Broad, I think that should be ok. The only issue that comes to mind is that I think the current user group has various permissions assigned across a few different workspaces, but I don't see any reason why we couldn't also add the new group to those workspaces. The bigger headache would be porting all of our existing methods to a new method namespace, but that doesn't sound like it will be necessary, right?