Service Alert: 10/10/18
Load issues have been resolved and FireCloud is now catching up. If you are still stuck in a queued state in an hour, please let us know.
Latest Release: 10/09/18
Release Notes can be found here.

What is the fastest way to

LeeTL1220LeeTL1220 Arlington, MAMember, Broadie, Dev ✭✭

Someone has given me access to a method and method configuration. I have a slightly updated WDL that I would like to use in my own private workspace. The method configuration is big and I do not wish to have to populate all of the fields from scratch again.

What is the fastest way to import the original method configuration and update it with the new WDL? Without having to create a new method configuration from scratch?

Answers

• Tiffany_at_BroadTiffany_at_Broad Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @LeeTL1220 I've been thinking through your question and my initial thought was that you could clone the method and update the WDL. However, you won't get the method configuration copied over if you clone it. Another option was exporting the original method to your workspace, then clicking Edit Configuration and replacing the WDL with your own, but the UI won't let you update the WDL in this way. Now I am wondering if there is some way to download the configuration details and upload them to your new method via the APIs. I'll get back to you on this in a bit.

• Tiffany_at_BroadTiffany_at_Broad Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator admin
    edited June 27

Update: in the next two weeks we will be releasing a feature that lets you upload and download input json files. This means you can download the json file for the original method configuration, create a new method using your WDL, import it into the workpace, and then upload the json file. I'm sorry that this doesn't help you at the moment.
    Are you planning on updating the original method with your WDL (creating a new snapshot)?

• LeeTL1220LeeTL1220 Arlington, MAMember, Broadie, Dev ✭✭

Yup... I've been creating snapshots repeatedly.

For now, I think you will just have to export the new method config and manually copy over the method config attributes from the previous config. Soon this should be easier...

@LeeTL1220
    Today we released a feature where you can populate method config inputs with the input json file so you do not have to populate the data model in order to launch an analysis. Do you have a json file for the original method config? Otherwise, you will be able to download the original method config as a json file soon. The code is in review.