Latest Release: 8/9/18
Release Notes can be found here.

Change billing account

Is it possible to change the billing account for an existing FireCloud project? Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• KateNKateN Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator

Unfortunately it is not. I would recommend cloning the workspace and selecting the new billing project you'd like it to be associated with, then deleting the old workspace once you're sure you have all the information & past run data you need. That way you won't be paying storage costs on the old workspace's past runs you don't want to keep.

• birgerbirger Member, Broadie, CGA-mod

Cloning workspaces does a shallow copy of the data in the parent workspace; i.e., the clone will contain references to data residing in the parent's data storage bucket. So, if cloning your workspace, you will need to copy your files to the clone's new data storage bucket and then update your data model to point to the new files. This is a lot of work just to accommodate a change in a billing account.

I'd like to make an enhancement request to support the changing of the billing account for an existing FireCloud project. This is VERY important; when working on a particular grant-funded project we create a FireCloud Project that is linked to a billing account (cost object) tied to that grant. When the grant and funding period ends, we want to retain the workspaces associated with the project (e.g., for archival purposes). To do this we want to transfer the FireCloud Project to a longer-lived billing account.

• mbemismbemis Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie

You can change the billing account associated with the billing project by going to the Google Cloud Console for your project. If you go to the "Billing" page for the project using the menu on the left side of the page, you'll end up on a page that looks similar to the attached screenshot. You can then change the billing account associated with the project.

The path to this page in the Cloud Console seems to vary depending on the project, so let me know if you have any questions, but what you're trying to accomplish can be done. Note that you must be an owner on the project in order to do this.

I don't think this works for FireCloud Google Projects. The user does not own the FireCloud Billing Projects and therefore cannot change the billing account liked to the project.

Yup, you are correct. @jgould, you should be able to change the billing account linked to your FireCloud Billing Project.