FireCloud Billing Project

Tiffany_at_BroadTiffany_at_Broad Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin
edited January 4 in Dictionary

Every workspace is linked to a single FireCloud Billing Project that tracks all cloud storage and cloud compute costs incurred within that workspace. You can create FireCloud Billing Projects if you have access to a Google Billing Account and give others permission to use it.

The FireCloud team owns and administers the FireCloud projects billing expenses to their credit card. They don’t have owner privileges. They can see billing activity in the console but that’s about it. If you as a user of FireCloud have a billing account and want full ownership, you can create regular GCP (Google Cloud Platform) projects that you wholly own, pay for, and can do what you want with.

Post edited by KateN on

Comments

• yfarjounyfarjoun Broad InstituteDev ✭✭✭

How can I change the billing account on an existing workspace?

• Tiffany_at_BroadTiffany_at_Broad Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @yfarjoun - see the answer to the question "How do I assign my new billing account to my existing workspaces?" I will move these instructions over to a tutorial or something to make it easier for you and others to follow.

• yfarjounyfarjoun Broad InstituteDev ✭✭✭

These instructions are for moving from a billing project I control (the FCC xxxx) to a different one. but that's not my question. I have a Firecloud workspace that is linked to a billing project that I am a user of (not owner) and I want to change it to another billing account of which I'm a user (and not owner). I think that I need to do something in Firecloud...not google console...but perhaps I'm wrong...

• Tiffany_at_BroadTiffany_at_Broad Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

To do this, you can clone the workspace. When you clone, you have the option of choosing whatever FireCloud Billing project you want. However, when you clone, you don't get the submission history. Is that a problem?