Latest Release: 8/9/18
Release Notes can be found here.

BUG: loading multiple set entities via the importEntities API returns a 502 error code

This has been noted by myself, @smeier, and @francois_a.

When using the importEntity API with a tsv file containing multiple set entities, we often get a return code of 502, however when we look at the workspace, we'll see that the load was a success.

Tagged:

Answers

• KateNKateN Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator

Could you share a workspace where you see this behavior with [email protected]? I'd like to have a developer take a look.

• dheimandheiman Member, Broadie

Hi @KateN,

@hussein has confirmed that this is a known potential issue. This bug does not require a workspace to investigate, as it occurs during workspace setup, just a sufficiently large TSV file with multiple set entities. This can easily be put together by a dev with randomized data in their own workspace. If you want to see an example of way more than enough data, feel free to check out nci-dheiman-b-org/dev (already shared with [email protected]).

The problem is that this API call isn't fully asynchronous - that is, it should simply return that the file was successfully received, and process it separately.

Right now the API call is set to return a success upon finishing processing the file, but the session times out because the timeout limit is shorter than it takes to process the file. The timeout, however, does not kill the processing of the file, so when we check the workspace, we see all the data is there.

There are two possible solutions to this issue - increase the timeout limit (yet again, so I've been told), or have the call simply return that the file was uploaded (and possibly validated to ensure proper formatting), and that it may take a few moments to show up while it processes.

I think the latter is likely the cleanest solution, as it's not really possible to predict just how big the files users upload will be.

• KateNKateN Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator

@hussein has put a note on that known issue ticket to add your information to the potential solution for the problem. I will be sure to update you when we see a fix go through on this matter. Thank you for reporting this!