Service notice: You cannot create Billing Projects due to a backend Google issue. Google is working on resolving it and we will update this notice as we learn more. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Service notice: The "QueuedInCromwell" issue is resolved. All workflows should now be running normally. If you experience further issues of this type, please report them here.
LATEST RELEASE: May 22, 2018
Release Notes can be found here.

Workspace bucket is suddenly unavailable to workspace owner

I have a workspace that I created as part of my regression test suite for the Single Cell Portal, and I'm experiencing an issue that I've seen pop up every now and then with a bucket in a workspace - it becomes unavailable to the workspace owner, but the project owner or any other users that have write access to the bucket can view it fine.

The workspace in question is this: https://portal.firecloud.org/#workspaces/single-cell-portal/development-twod-study-ad99674f-456f-46d5-8143-0d6bb902a55a

According to the sharing information, my personal gmail account is the workspace owner. I can also verify this via the API (my email shows up in the owners array). But the FireCloud UI tells me the bucket is unavailable, and I can't open the bucket directly in the browser as the owner of the workspace (but I can open it as the project owner, or a user that has been delegated read/write access).

Only the workspace owner is affected currently, and it has been going on for over an hour now. However, this is not happening with other workspaces I own right now. It has happened periodically in the past, and has not resolved itself automatically - I had to get someone to fix it for me in the backend.

Tagged:

Answers

• Tiffany_at_BroadTiffany_at_Broad Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator

Hi @bistline !
    Thanks for reporting this. Is there any workspace loading errors for the other roles, like what @skasar is experiencing here?

Can you share the workspace with GROUP_support@firecloud.org so that we can take a look?
    Cheers,
    Tiff

• bistlinebistline Member, Broadie

No, there were no errors in sharing or anything else like that. Also, it appears that the workspace has recovered and the bucket is now available again.

So I guess all is well that ends well, although it would be nice to know what actually cause the problem as I've seen this before. If it happens to a user of the Single Cell Portal, I'd like to have some recourse in that instance.

• Tiffany_at_BroadTiffany_at_Broad Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator

That is good to hear! I will follow up and see if we can figure it out.

• There can certainly be some lag between access changes and those changes taking effect on the bucket. Hopefully not hours though. Do you know who fixed what on the backend in the past for you?

• bistlinebistline Member, Broadie

I don't, actually. It was a while ago. But there was no change in the access to this workspace - I created it via the API, and right from the start, it was unavailable to the workspace owner. It eventually recovered, but it looks like it took the better part of a day.