Latest Release: 03/12/19
Release Notes can be found here.

Uploading data to FireCloud bucket from Google Compute Engine in another Google Project

akmanningakmanning United StatesMember

I have been working on a VM in a google project called "PROJECT1" (for example) and I have data on that VM that I want to transfer to FireCloud. My FireCloud workspace is under a different google billing account. What are the steps needed to grant a PROJECT1 service account access to the google bucket associated with my FireCloud workspace?

$ gsutil ls gs://fc-adaae650-XXX
AccessDeniedException: 403 [email protected] does not have storage.objects.list access to bucket fc-adaae650-XXX.

Answers

• gordon123gordon123 BroadMember, Broadie

You need to run 'gcloud init' first, and enter the Google credentials you use for Firecloud.

• akmanningakmanning United StatesMember
    edited September 2017

Thanks for the guidance -- at 'gcloud init', which authentication options should I use? Do I need to choose the [email protected] account? Or the "another account" option? The direction of service account authentications is confusing.

I want to be able to access the google bucket from another project on this VM. Does this mean that I have to be logged into "PROJECT2" on the VM?

Update: Choosing "another account" and selecting the firecloud project worked!

• zwzhangzwzhang Member, Broadie

@akmanning said:
    Thanks for the guidance -- at 'gcloud init', which authentication options should I use? Do I need to choose the [email protected] account? Or the "another account" option? The direction of service account authentications is confusing.

I want to be able to access the google bucket from another project on this VM. Does this mean that I have to be logged into "PROJECT2" on the VM?

Update: Choosing "another account" and selecting the firecloud project worked!

Hi, akmaning

I had the same issue. I did gcloud init but it seems still doesnt work. I am not quite sure what you mean by "Choosing "another account" and selecting the firecloud project worked!".
    When I did gcloud init, I did not find any firecloud project..

• KateNKateN Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

I'm not certain exactly what they saw, but sometimes when you gcloud init there is more than one account you can log into. You need to log into the same account you used to sign up for FireCloud. When you choose a project, there won't explicitly be an option called "firecloud project". However, there will be a list of Billing Projects your account has access to, and you'll want to select the right billing project to use.

If you're still having trouble, let me know.