The current GATK version is 3.7-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you remember to?

1. Search using the upper-right search box, e.g. using the error message.
2. Try the latest version of tools.
3. Include tool and Java versions.
4. Tell us whether you are following GATK Best Practices.
5. Include relevant details, e.g. platform, DNA- or RNA-Seq, WES (+capture kit) or WGS (PCR-free or PCR+), paired- or single-end, read length, expected average coverage, somatic data, etc.
6. For tool errors, include the error stacktrace as well as the exact command.
7. For format issues, include the result of running ValidateSamFile for BAMs or ValidateVariants for VCFs.
8. For weird results, include an illustrative example, e.g. attach IGV screenshots according to Article#5484.
9. For a seeming variant that is uncalled, include results of following Article#1235.

Did we ask for a bug report?

Then follow instructions in Article#1894.

Formatting tip!

Surround blocks of code, error messages and BAM/VCF snippets--especially content with hashes (#)--with lines with three backticks ( ``` ) each to make a code block.
Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Picard 2.9.0 is now available. Download and read release notes here.
GATK 3.7 is here! Be sure to read the Version Highlights and optionally the full Release Notes.

RevertSam in picards

yyeeyyee Member Posts: 13

I need to re-map two kinds of BAMS: a) the re-calibrated BAMs and b) hg19 mapped BAMs to hg38.

I am looking into the GATK tutorial: https://software.broadinstitute.org/gatk/guide/topic?name=tutorials#optionB, on "Convert aligned BAM to uBAM and discard problematic records using RevertSam", and below is an example.
java -Xmx8G -jar /path/picard.jar RevertSam \
I=6484_snippet.bam \
O=6484_snippet_revertsam.bam \
SANITIZE=true \
MAX_DISCARD_FRACTION=0.005 \ #informational; does not affect processing
ATTRIBUTE_TO_CLEAR=XT \
ATTRIBUTE_TO_CLEAR=XN \
ATTRIBUTE_TO_CLEAR=AS \ #Picard release of 9/2015 clears AS by default
ATTRIBUTE_TO_CLEAR=OC \
ATTRIBUTE_TO_CLEAR=OP \
SORT_ORDER=queryname \ #default
RESTORE_ORIGINAL_QUALITIES=true \ #default
REMOVE_DUPLICATE_INFORMATION=true \ #default
REMOVE_ALIGNMENT_INFORMATION=true #default

I have few questions:

1) The re-calibrated BAMs are generated using different GATK versions (3.4-3.6). What version of picard should we use for RevertSam?

2) Can we also use RevertSam on the mapped BAMs? If so, what parameters should be used?

3) It would be much appreciated if you can give more information on the parameters for this RevertSam:
a) MAX_DISCARD_FRACTION=0.005 --> if we don't want to discard any reads, we should set this value to zero, right?
b) What's your recommendation on ATTRIBUTE_TO_CLEAR? It's not clear to me how this parameter will work on top of REMOVE_ALIGNMENT_INFORMATION.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator, Dev Posts: 4,590 admin

@yyee
    Hi,

1) You should use the latest version of Picard for the best results. Have a look at this article for mixing and matching GATK versions.

2) Have a look at this article.

3a) Yes, if you don't want to discard any reads, you will need to set the parameter to 0.00. Please note, you may not be able to complete the run due to errors if you set the value so low. Have a look at the article from number 2 for more information.

3b) I think the article from 2 will answer your question. Basically, those are tags not related to alignment information that you wish to clear.

-Sheila