The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.

HC in gVCF mode gives error "Can only be used in single sample mode" when passed 4 bams for sample

daniel_adkinsdaniel_adkins Member Posts: 14

i have been using HaplotypeCaller in gVCF mode on a cohort of 830 samples spread over 2450 bams. the number of bams per sample varies from 1-4. for samples with <=3 bams, the routine works perfectly. but for samples with 4 bams, the jobs always crash and I receive the error:

ERROR MESSAGE: Invalid command line: Argument emitRefConfidence has a bad value: Can only be used in single sample mode currently

is this a bug? are there any options i can use to avoid this error. i suppose it is possible that there is an issue with my bams, but it seems odd that the error occurs systematically with 4 bam samples and never for samples with 3 or fewer bams.

thanks for any help!

Best Answer

Answers

• daniel_adkinsdaniel_adkins Member Posts: 14

you are right, geraldine. was a read group SM tag issue.

• d_t_nguyend_t_nguyen Member Posts: 2

Hi Geraldine,
    I have the same error with Daniel: "ERROR MESSAGE: Invalid command line: Argument emitRefConfidence has a bad value: Can only be used in single sample mode currently" when I run HaplotypeCaller with ERC mode for 3 samples of 1000 Genomes Project. Could you help me to figure it out?

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Administrator, Dev Posts: 10,704 admin

Hi @d_t_nguyen,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure what there is to figure out; the error message states fairly clearly that HaplotypeCaller can only be run on one sample at a time in ERC mode. That means you can't run it on three samples together...

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• d_t_nguyend_t_nguyen Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2014