The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.

best way of filtering out common SNPs in the GATK outputted VCF file

rcholicrcholic DenverMember Posts: 68

In my PiCard/GATK pipeline, I already include the 1000G_gold_standard and dbsnp files in my VQSR step, I am wondering if I should further filter the final vcf files. The two files I use are Mills_and_1000G_gold_standard.indels.hg19.vcf and dbsnp_137.hg19.vcf, downloaded from the GATK resource bundle.

I recently came across the NHLBI exome seq data http://evs.gs.washington.edu/EVS/#tabs-7, and the more complete 1000G variants ftp://ftp-trace.ncbi.nih.gov/1000genomes/ftp/release/20101123/interim_phase1_release/

These made me wonder if I should use these available VCFs to further filter my VCF files to remove the common SNPs. If so, can I use the "--mask" parameter in VariantFiltration of GATK to do the filtration? Examples below copied from documentation page:

java -Xmx2g -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
       -R ref.fasta \
       -T VariantFiltration \
       -o output.vcf \
       --variant input.vcf \
       --filterExpression "AB < 0.2 || MQ0 > 50" \
       --filterName "Nov09filters" \
       --mask mask.vcf \
       --maskName InDel
Tagged:

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Administrator, Dev Posts: 10,690 admin

Hi there,

I'm not sure what you mean; it really depends what you're trying to do, depending on whether you're trying to determine all quality variants, just the novel variants, etc. You will need to clarify your intentions a little more, otherwise we can't really help you.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• rcholicrcholic DenverMember Posts: 68

@Geraldine. Sorry for not being clear in my first.

I have got my VCF output from the GATK pipeline and want to further filter out those common SNPs. For this reason, I wanted to use NHLBI exome seq data and 1000G common SNP vcf to clean up my VCF files.

My questions are:
    1. whether I can use "--mask commonSNPs.vcf" parameter to do this in VariantFiltration of GATK.
    2. How to filter the VCF files of GATK by minor allele frequency (MAF > 0.1)?

Thanks

• mmterpstrammterpstra NetherlandsMember Posts: 41
    edited March 2014
    1. How to filter the VCF files of GATK by minor allele frequency (MAF > 0.1)?

Use VariantAnnotator like this(to lift over annotation from one file to another):

--resource:cosmic,vcf $cosmicVcf \
         -E 'cosmic.ID' \
         --resource:1000g,vcf $oneKgP1wgsVcf \
         -E '1000g.AF' \
         -E '1000g.AFR_AF' \
         -E '1000g.AMR_AF' \
         -E '1000g.ASN_AF' \
         -E '1000g.EUR_AF' \

Then use JEXL with VariantFiltration to filter the lifted over annotations:

--filterExpression "(vc.hasAttribute('1000g.EUR_AF') && (vc.getAttribute('1000g.EUR_AF') > 0.1 && vc.getAttribute('1000g.EUR_AF') < 0.9))" \
         --filterName "1000gEURMAFgt0.1" \

(not checked!! also see the jexl page for fixing this expression.)

• rcholicrcholic DenverMember Posts: 68

@mmterpstra,

Thanks for your reply. One thing I am not sure is what is $cosmicVcf and $oneKgP1wgsVcf ? Where do I get the VCFs?